Old 10-29-2018, 01:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
betnp3

Does an addict deserve time with his kids?

Our current visitation agreement has my ex with our 3 boys (3 years old & 18 month twins) every other weekend Friday PM-Monday AM & every Wed evening. His mom is supervisor until he can pass 4 consecutive hair follicle tests. I took his last hair follicle test result to the testing site because it looked suspicious to me...they marked all over the page what was inaccurate about the result & basically said it was forged. I can tell by his behavior that he has been using. This past weekend my oldest said they stayed at their grandmas house Sunday night bc Dad was sick. When they came home Thurs AM from visit, he said they never saw Dad & they stayed at grandmas. Grandma never said anything to me about this. I texted her & said I was concerned they didn’t see him & she didn’t let me know what was going on. She said Sunday was the first time she thought he was acting strange & she called him out, he got upset & overreacted, she felt uncomfortable & left with the boys. She watched my twins for a couple hours yesterday so I could take my oldest son to a movie...as I left she asked if I had heard from her son. He hasn’t contacted his kids all week. She went to his house later in the day, texted me last night that he was “fine & would text me.” Like nothing happened!!! I asked her if she asked him if he gave an explanation as to why he hadn’t contacted his kids all week. She got defensive & said she didn’t know what was going on between us but it was none of her business. I said, what is going on is that he went off on YOU in front of my kids because he was high on crack & decided again on Wed that getting high was more important than seeing his kids. No response then.

My plan is to reach out to a different attorney this week & work on changing our visitation arrangement. Until it is legally changed, I don’t know if I could get in trouble for not following what’s in place...but I really do not want them seeing him right now. I don’t want grandma supervising anymore as I feel she is in denial & enabling (had these feelings before but thought I would try out the supervision with her). She takes good care of the kids & I feel like they are physically safe with her, my concern is the boys psychological/ emotional toll being around the situation could have on them.

My thought is to propose third party supervised visits every other Sat until he can provide 4 consecutive hair follicle tests (where I can get results directly from testing center), then he can have every other weekend Sat AM-Sun PM. Does this seem too harsh?