Old 10-18-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
QuietToday

Seeking advice: living abroad (in Asia) and staying sober

Writing to ask if anyone here has ever lived abroad and struggled with alcoholism? I am having extreme trouble with handling my sobriety, particularly on the weekends. This isn't to say I'm doing good during the weekdays, because I'm not, but at least during the weekdays I am very conscious of when I choose to drink, and I of course feel very guilty and ashamed when I do (which is most of the time). But on the weekends I have totally lost any sense of guilt; I honestly don't know what else to do. Everybody that I have met abroad, every single person, gets loaded on the weekends (or they don't get loaded, but at least go to bars and places to see other people; it's the only place English speakers go, I think).
I lost all guilt about this because I'm so alone and bored and upset abroad. I love my job, but it is lonely and boring.
I don't have to drink when I go out, yes--- but I've had stretches of sobriety where it fast becomes clear that sitting in bars and other alcohol-related things is really boring and stupid when you're not drinking. Hobbies are much better, or having sober friends is much better, but I don't have that here and I am very confused.

Does anyone have any experience? Any advice for me?

Also, AA does not exist here. I have gone through the pages, and at best it exists in a city which is two hours north. It's impossible for me to get there during the weekdays, and during the weekends I am generally very tired from the week and don't want to do much of anything, least of all spend four hours on public transportation.

_____
Hello everyone. I haven't posted in a very long time. I have not been good about sobriety. For a long time I simply gave up.
Since August I have been back to trying to better myself. This has been a poor attempt. In August I had 10 days sober. In September I had 2. And for October I have had 5 so far.

I really want to stop, which is why I'm now back here on SR, and I hope everyone is doing well and leading their recovery through!