Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice: living abroad (in Asia) and staying sober

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Writing to ask if anyone here has ever lived abroad and struggled with alcoholism? I am having extreme trouble with handling my sobriety, particularly on the weekends. This isn't to say I'm doing good during the weekdays, because I'm not, but at least during the weekdays I am very conscious of when I choose to drink, and I of course feel very guilty and ashamed when I do (which is most of the time). But on the weekends I have totally lost any sense of guilt; I honestly don't know what else to do. Everybody that I have met abroad, every single person, gets loaded on the weekends (or they don't get loaded, but at least go to bars and places to see other people; it's the only place English speakers go, I think).
I lost all guilt about this because I'm so alone and bored and upset abroad. I love my job, but it is lonely and boring.
I don't have to drink when I go out, yes--- but I've had stretches of sobriety where it fast becomes clear that sitting in bars and other alcohol-related things is really boring and stupid when you're not drinking. Hobbies are much better, or having sober friends is much better, but I don't have that here and I am very confused.

Does anyone have any experience? Any advice for me?

Also, AA does not exist here. I have gone through the pages, and at best it exists in a city which is two hours north. It's impossible for me to get there during the weekdays, and during the weekends I am generally very tired from the week and don't want to do much of anything, least of all spend four hours on public transportation.

_____
Hello everyone. I haven't posted in a very long time. I have not been good about sobriety. For a long time I simply gave up.
Since August I have been back to trying to better myself. This has been a poor attempt. In August I had 10 days sober. In September I had 2. And for October I have had 5 so far.

I really want to stop, which is why I'm now back here on SR, and I hope everyone is doing well and leading their recovery through!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

What country are you in, if you don't mind saying?
Old 10-18-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
What country are you in, if you don't mind saying?
Oops; South Korea! Sorry; meant to include that actually.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

Apart from locations it sounds like me when I visited scandinavia 14 years ago. I got iller and iller, wasting my money on the room bar until in desperation I made my way to the front desk and asked for help. The lovely old lady put me in touch with a couple of AA members who literally rescued me and dried me out. Alcoholism isn't/wasn't recognised as an illness in Denmark but there are AA meetings there. For you. Your AA meetings start when you get on the bus/train saturday morning. Spend the day there with AA members and strengthen your sobriety. Ultimately it becomes a matter of life and death. Stop procrastinating. Pick up the phone. You'll find other alcys locally Start an AA meeting. Keep posting, Keep coming back.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have lived a few different places, and also had to travel for work quite a bit at times so being away from home where there are hotel bars callling my name was always a temptation.

One of the things that helped me was the idea that "wherever I go, there I am". Meaning that my addiction is inside me - and how I deal with it has a lot more to do with my choices and actions than my surroundings.

Regarding support, remember that SR is online 24/7. And if AA helps you, remember that there are online AA meetings as well. And it's very possible to work the steps on your own, and/or communicate with a sponsor virtually/via phone.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I completely understand. I have travelled all over the world as a alcoholic and a non drinker. No where have I seen as a prevalent of a drinking culture as east Asia and that is saying something.

I remember it as being the only place that I have ever been where being completely smashed day after day is treated as normal by society at large. To top it all off it is considered rude by the culture for someone to get a drink without providing you with one also. This happens as a matter of fact even without you asking for one. It is also considered rude to turn down the chance to drink with a friend.

I have done it. You basically have to get a thick hide and stop caring if someone gets a little butt hurt by you not drinking. However, anywhere I have been also has a counter culture that is more health conscious. These people also find each other like the drinkers.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I’m alcoholic and have lived on my yacht for the past few years, mostly aroun se Asia. I lived ashore for 18 months in an area where there was no AA, so I registered as the local AA contact. Only got one12 step job in that time.

Moving around I often go long periods without meetings and it has no effect on my sobriety. I don’t find myself struggling. Recently I have spent a lot of time listening to recorded speakers which has been good for improving my knowledge.

However, I have worked all 12 steps and continue to try and practice those principles in all my affairs. I get to meetings at any opportunity, even if it means several hours travel and I go to contribute which I find rewarding. Sometimes I get the opportunity to put on a workshop, or pass on some interesting info or practice I have picked up in my travels. I am always on the look out for someone I can help and I carry some spare big books on the boat with me.

Bill Wilson talked about freedom from alcohol, and to me that has meant alcohol has no influence in my life. I don’t drink it, neither does it have any influence in respect of what I can do or where I can go. Exactly as promised in step ten, the problem has been removed, I have been placed in a position of neutrality, safe and protected. That’s my experience.