Old 10-18-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
orderfororder

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
"My life got better so much better when I stopped drinking." I heard this statement (or similar statements) a lot in the rooms of AA and here as well. The implication being to the listener/reader is that your life will get better too if you stop drinking. I have been pondering this statement a bit and I think it's not always true.
You heard the statement, but did you listen to their explanation? Their life getting better may have been contingent upon their sobriety. Many alcoholics get stuck in loops, never find their way out of bad situations because they are never clear-minded enough to strategize their way out, or they throw all of their money to booze while barely having enough to survive, or they sacrifice their health, mistreat their loved ones, etc. Removing the toxin in these situations will clearly make their lives better.

The implication to these stories is not necessarily that YOUR life will improve with sobriety. But it is likely that many in that meeting room can find aspects of their story that resonate, and those areas improve.

It is possible that you are simply a little cynical about the "happy go lucky" sober types who ascribe all of their successes to sobriety while you don't quite see things that way. That's fair enough. But you have to understand that for those people, sobriety did have that impact on their lives. But that is their sobriety, you can respect that while still figuring out what makes your sobriety meaningful. You and your family are dealing with a lot of hardship, but do you think being drunk throughout all of this would ease your family's mind? It would likely add to the stress and negativity. Don't underestimate the value of being present and available for others while they are suffering.