Old 10-18-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
"My life got better so much better when I stopped drinking." I heard this statement (or similar statements) a lot in the rooms of AA and here as well. The implication being to the listener/reader is that your life will get better too if you stop drinking. I have been pondering this statement a bit and I think it's not always true.
Sorry for all that's happening around you AAPJ. I would agree that the act of being sober in no way guarantees that things around is will get better. I've been sober for about 5 years and in that time many people I know have died, gotten cancer, lost their jobs, etc. I've had my share of struggles with mental health, job loss, family issues, etc.

Having said all that, I would say that getting sober far better prepared me to to deal with all of those things. And I would argue that getting sober will prepare anyone to deal with their life in a more healthy way.

The danger in your statement here too is that it could suggest to some that they should just keep drinking because it won't help anything to quit. And I feel that would be a travesty.