Thread: Family
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
seekingcalm

Family

I am divorced, and my ex-husband's father died last week. This upcoming weekend, my ex-husband is getting married. We have a good relationship, and I am happy for him.
Our 27 year old son is the best man, and I believe he is an alcoholic.
I am not at all worried about how he may behave with an open bar all weekend. What will be will be. His father just thinks he is an ******* sometimes. Our son behaved badly at his grandfather's funeral. It is so sad to look into the face of my boy, and see scorn and resentment. It's there because I no longer am in denial about his behavior and his disease. It is not normal. Now that I am not on his team denial, I am the enemy. It hurts, but not having me cheer him on through life may actually be one of the first consequences he has had to face. I know that he hasn't had success in his relationships with women, but have no details, and am grateful for that. I have been thinking that in a month or so, I would like to speak with his dad.
Having experienced alcoholism with my current partner, I know what I know. I'd like to just share that with my son's dad. He can do what he wants with what I have to say. When I accepted that he may actually be an alcoholic, everything made sense.
I have been reading the Big Book, and have found some answers there as well.
Thank you for listening...I try everyday to stay healthy and happy, but this is so hard. I love my son, but I really don't want to be around him. Feeling this way is heartbreaking.