Old 09-25-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Six weeks is still very early in recovery. I had physical withdrawal symptoms for over a year. I saw a friend last night (a doctor) who noted that my memory seems better and I'm repeating myself a lot less than any time she has known me, and she knew me during active alcohol addiction and all through recovery.

"Endless meetings" aren't a required part of recovery. They are very useful for some in recovery. For myself 12 Step was very useful in early recovery, for about the first 90 days. Then I went into CBT-based outpatient rehab and stopped going to meetings. I never really returned.

I'm not knocking 12 Step, I'm just saying it's not the only game in town. However, if you are sober and AA is working and you're only 6 weeks in, I would not recommend changing methods just yet. I think the community is very helpful for a large number of people at that stage of recovery, and for some, it's a lifelong process with AA.

I'm more of an AVRT/Rational recovery and psychotherapy person. I just hit 500 days, and I have to say I don't think about drinking all that much unless I come here.