View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shredder22

Good Morning Quick Question

Hi,

Cleaning through my mom's hoard issue. Came across the calendar version of one day at a time in al-anon. Super excited.

When I was moving back to my mother's last week a neighbor asked me why I was leaving. Being brutally honest I said I had a surprise for my fiance an upgrade from our studio to a 3 bedroom as we had plans to get married and try to have a baby in 2019. I said he chose the bottle over me and really started to scare me so I have been living in a 3 bedroom for 2.5 months alone.

He said you dodged a bullet. I would explain he cried often. One thing that bothered me I told him was that he would cry over nowhere and say you are triggering me I feel like I'm at my child's mother's house I don't feel good. I would explain to the drunk you are not there you are safe with me. Sometimes I got through to him other times not.

Being honest the neighbor said being in recovery addict/alcoholics have no concept of time. In his mind he probably thought he was there or even you were her. He was like things that happened 4 years to active drunks can feel like a day.

I'm keeping busy, saw my therapist, going to the gym. Trying to keep a positive mental attitude. Just wanted to know if anyone agrees with what my neighbor said.

Blessings,
One day at a time,
Shredder