Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

Hi Wicket,

You've got a lot happening right now. First off: kudos for your sobriety! As hard as it might be to see the good that sobriety brings to life under your present circumstances, if you were drinking right now the list of challenges would be far longer or worse.

When life gets complicated for me, I find that focusing on a very small number of things (like 1 or 2) is the best way to make progress. When we feel overwhelmed we're not at our most effective, and dividing our limited resources among too many issues means whatever progress we make on them is really small - which leads to frustration, exhaustion, and a sense of futility.

It seems to me that finding work and taking care of your mental health needs are two things that probably belong at the top of the list. Every day, do one or two things that will move you closer to a job and a working relationship with a mental health professional. Your county may have a social service office that can help you navigate those two issues.

Last but certainly not least... as ridiculous as it may sound, be grateful for the good things in your life: you have shelter, sobriety, and the ability to help yourself. One of the things that I can see now that I am sober, my drinking self always dwelled on the negative, and more often than not I was able to find something that would support my negative outlook. I was stuck in a cycle of "life sucks" and a cynical "what's the point of trying" - from which nothing good ever resulted.

You have what it takes to move forward, just keep things simple for now, and make small steps toward your goals every day. It may take some time, but you can get through this.

Good luck, keep posting!