Notices

619 days without alcohol. Looking for encouragement.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

619 days without alcohol. Looking for encouragement.

Haven't had a job for months. Hit a huge wall of anxiety and depression after my fiance cheated. Still together, but now we are screwed. About to lose everything, car, phones etc. If we didnt live with my parents wed be homeless. Being sued by 2 creditors. Missed therapy appointments mean no more therapy. Lost 2 other doctors in the same way. Therapist says I may have ADHD or Bipolar along with my already diagnosed Anxiety, Depression, and PTSD (rape) -- but I missed the evaluation appointment too. Cant talk to family and I literally just dont have friends.. I'm losing control of everything.. I just need someone to 1) say good job on my 619 days and actually mean it, because everyone is bored of my success and I feel like I'm just fishing for a compliment. And 2) tell me everything is okay and to keep going. If I drink, it will not end well.. my state of mental health plus alcohol do NOT mix well. I NEED to get out of this rut.

Last edited by Wicket; 09-11-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Wicket,

You've got a lot happening right now. First off: kudos for your sobriety! As hard as it might be to see the good that sobriety brings to life under your present circumstances, if you were drinking right now the list of challenges would be far longer or worse.

When life gets complicated for me, I find that focusing on a very small number of things (like 1 or 2) is the best way to make progress. When we feel overwhelmed we're not at our most effective, and dividing our limited resources among too many issues means whatever progress we make on them is really small - which leads to frustration, exhaustion, and a sense of futility.

It seems to me that finding work and taking care of your mental health needs are two things that probably belong at the top of the list. Every day, do one or two things that will move you closer to a job and a working relationship with a mental health professional. Your county may have a social service office that can help you navigate those two issues.

Last but certainly not least... as ridiculous as it may sound, be grateful for the good things in your life: you have shelter, sobriety, and the ability to help yourself. One of the things that I can see now that I am sober, my drinking self always dwelled on the negative, and more often than not I was able to find something that would support my negative outlook. I was stuck in a cycle of "life sucks" and a cynical "what's the point of trying" - from which nothing good ever resulted.

You have what it takes to move forward, just keep things simple for now, and make small steps toward your goals every day. It may take some time, but you can get through this.

Good luck, keep posting!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you shared and I am sincere when I say 619 days is amazing. And it sounds like something you have worked hard reach its all of these tough issues. I am proud of and for you- I know hitting 100 gen. Subsequent hundreds really gave me satisfaction.

I've been through some of the same issues you have, like the creditors, and fearing homelessness. The only thing that let me deal with it was being sober. It has certainly been a gradual process to trust that things that seem impossible and overwhelming would work out as tey would.

Please keep sharing here. We know that sober struggles are hard and here a bit further along than you, I still work. My program is I can handle he ones I have.

You can do it. Keep going today, one day st a time.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wicket - 619 days of sobriety is Amazing! In spite of all the life stress you are going through right now, you have maintained your sobriety. You deserve a ton of credit.

Peace to you.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 619 days... that is a big accomplishment. Like Eddiebuckle said, take one or two things at a time. Can you reschedule your evaluation and make sure you get to it? Maybe get a part time job to keep you busy and pay a few bills?
Good luck to you and check in with us.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good Morning Wicket. I am very happy to give you my sincere congratulations on 619 days of sobriety! Your sobriety is even more impressive considering that you have maintained it through these difficult times. It takes some serious amount of vigilance, strength, and courage to do what you have done. I agree with others that you should turn your attention to the other pressing matters in your life, like health care and work, by taking small steps every single day. Also, don't be afraid to cut yourself some slack. You've created a great foundation for you to be successful. Whether you know it or not, and as bad as things are for you, by getting sober, you have given yourself the opportunity to be successful in all of your other endeavors.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wicket - you are an absolute star, and a really good example to all of us here. Well done, and thank you!

Like others I would suggest trying to focus one just a couple of things that are most important. From what you have said it sounds like you have a roof over your heads.

But, what do you think is the most important thing you want to take care of at the moment?
Old 09-12-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 619 days which is a massive achievement. We are never bored here to hear about that. Keep hanging in there, it will get better.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wicket, I'm sorry you have a lot of stuff going on right now. Big congratulations on 619 days of recovery! That really is fantastic.

Is it possible for you to get back with the therapist and continue to deal with the mental health issues? Staying sober will ensure that you can began to manage things in your life again.

You are not alone.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 619 days! That's amazing. Sorry life is being stressful, but that would be there regardless and it'll be a lot easier to manage with a clear head.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words. They are truly needed at this time and I hope to keep you updated.You_Rock_

Last edited by Wicket; 09-12-2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Posted reply as comment
Old 09-12-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
Hi Wicket,

You've got a lot happening right now. First off: kudos for your sobriety! As hard as it might be to see the good that sobriety brings to life under your present circumstances, if you were drinking right now the list of challenges would be far longer or worse.

When life gets complicated for me, I find that focusing on a very small number of things (like 1 or 2) is the best way to make progress. When we feel overwhelmed we're not at our most effective, and dividing our limited resources among too many issues means whatever progress we make on them is really small - which leads to frustration, exhaustion, and a sense of futility.

It seems to me that finding work and taking care of your mental health needs are two things that probably belong at the top of the list. Every day, do one or two things that will move you closer to a job and a working relationship with a mental health professional. Your county may have a social service office that can help you navigate those two issues.

Last but certainly not least... as ridiculous as it may sound, be grateful for the good things in your life: you have shelter, sobriety, and the ability to help yourself. One of the things that I can see now that I am sober, my drinking self always dwelled on the negative, and more often than not I was able to find something that would support my negative outlook. I was stuck in a cycle of "life sucks" and a cynical "what's the point of trying" - from which nothing good ever resulted.

You have what it takes to move forward, just keep things simple for now, and make small steps toward your goals every day. It may take some time, but you can get through this.

Good luck, keep posting!

Thank you Eddie, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I get myself so overwhelmed and end up just giving up on the whole picture. The worst part is, I've blown off 5 or 6 interviews so I'm constantly always starting from square one. I really need to push myself to go through with it and get back out there. Thank you for your words of encouragement, I truly appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Congratulations on 619 days which is a massive achievement. We are never bored here to hear about that. Keep hanging in there, it will get better.
Thank you! That's why I came back here - I knew you all would be supportive. This really helped.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I'm glad you shared and I am sincere when I say 619 days is amazing. And it sounds like something you have worked hard reach its all of these tough issues. I am proud of and for you- I know hitting 100 gen. Subsequent hundreds really gave me satisfaction .
Thank you so much. The only reason I count by days anymore is so I can focus on fun numbers like 555, and the 50s and 100's!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wicket,

619 days is amazing!! Definitely come here to post about that!

I’m sorry you are having such a rough time right now. I agree with the other responses: take things one at a time. Trying to do everything at once is so very overwhelming.

You got this! I’m cheering you on!
Old 09-12-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

619 Days is a great achievement Wicket - I remember how hard the struggle is.

You're right that drinking won't make one thing better - I hope you get a break soon tho - sounds like you could use a change in fortune.

Some really great suggestions above

D
Old 09-12-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
Thank you so much. The only reason I count by days anymore is so I can focus on fun numbers like 555, and the 50s and 100's!
Same here! I can wait for 1000 here soon. 50s and 100s make me rally happy too.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm on 366, 619 is a massive accomplishment and you should be extremely proud, well done.