View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
GreenChair

Thank you for asking.

I'm simply in limbo about the whole matter.

The letter I received asked me to call the victim advocate if I had any info where "the fugitive" might be, so I called a week ago Friday. Instead of just taking the info, they directed me to call the sheriff's office. The first call was hard enough. It was like a smack in the face. If they wanted me to call the sheriff's office, why didn't the letter include that phone #? So I called there and told whomever it was I spoke to that I did have some possibilities and passed along the possibilities I am aware of.

The victim advocate also told me that she could not give me any information about my other questions because those are questions for the prosecutor. Again, then why did the letter only include the ph# for the victim advocate whose function apparently is to redirect calls. Well, I called the prosecutor and reached voice mail, left a message with a bunch of questions.

Those calls were made Friday, August 24. It's Saturday, September 1, and I have not received a return phone call, have not received any more correspondence, and there has been no arrest. Sadly, I don't even trust them to actually bother to inform me of when he's arrested (as they didn't bother to inform me when he was most recently released and don't care to explain to me how someone on home detention -- presumably wearing an electronic device -- manages to disappear) -- so I've been checking the county jail online several times per day.

I wish I never reported the crime. From the perspective of the justice system it simply was not worth it. I'm being punished with anxiety, canceled/no-show court dates, someone on the "loose" with a vendetta against me for pressing charges... while the thief is ... ??? Who knows? I would advise anyone not to bother to press charges unless, like in my case, it was necessary to have a police report in order not to be held responsible for the stolen/cashed checks. Reporting it helped me not to be financially responsible for his crimes, but has done nothing to hold him responsible.