View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knowledge

Originally Posted by maia1234 View Post
K,
I am sorry for what is going on in your home. I bet you are exhausted. When I was going through my misery, I had black circles under my eyes, because I was so overwhelmed. You can get on top of this, you just need a plan.

First off, are you getting any support, family, friends, alanon, open aa meetings or a therapist? There is so much help out there for you that you need to seek it out. Second, you need to figure out what you want to do. So know you finally realize that you thought that you had been "hiding" this drunk behavior from your son. In fact he even knows the name of what his dad is. I would highly recommend taking him out of the house and having a talk with him regarding the disease he has. You trying to hide it any further is over, so the elephant in the room can be seen.

I would recommend you going over the the adult children of alcoholics forum on SR. These are people who grew up in alcoholic homes. There are many people on that forum that had wished the one "healthy" parent had left the home and just didn't stay together to be a normal family. Please research how living in a home with a full blown addict effects everyone involved. You can protect yourself, a child can't, it is no longer just about you.

Educate yourself and make a plan. Maybe, just maybe this will be your rock bottom and get out of the home for good, but maybe not. Take your time, make calculated moves and it will all take place the way it's suppose too.

Hugs, we all understand on this forum.
Thank you for the advice and hugs! It is very exhausting.

I haven't talked to any of my family about it. I've been embarrassed and scared of being judged rather than helped. I did go to therapy for a while and it was very helpful. I felt calmer and not so overwhelmed. I went through my company's eap so when my "free" sessions were up I stopped. I'll look back into that program since it's been a little while. I'll also check into alanon.

I definitely don't want this to start affecting LO. And you're right. What I had thought I was doing was shielding him from it, obviously not. And I don't want the cycle to continue either.