View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
VigilanceNow

Hi WalkedOn, as the sister of someone who has been in and out of the mental health system, I know all too well how it fails those whoa re most in need. Not for quite the same reasons, as my sister has never been an addict, but she was diagnosed with schizophrenia several times. All she has to do is act normally (which she has gotten good at doing) for long enough and they let her out with a "promise" to take her meds, corroborated by her drug dealer boyfriend. Please.

Anyway, to my knowledge, the psych department in hospitals shouldn't discharge patients without someone to claim them who can guarantee a place to go...? Am I wrong about that? There are of course many loopholes to this if you know how to work the system (as in the case of my sister), but I didn't think they could just let people onto the street. I suppose I could be wrong.

Just keep working with the hospital and they surely will find a spot for her somewhere. Rehabs are much more widespread with the addiction oubreak, and depending on her insurance, they could even transport her just about anywhere within the state that has an open bed. I hope she gets the help she needs