Rehab won't take mentally ill Daughter

Old 08-29-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab won't take mentally ill Daughter

My 30 year daughter has been an addict since her teens. She is currently in the pysch ward going on week 4. The plan was she was to go to a rehab. The preferred place won't take her because of her diagnosis of schizo affective disorder.Two other places refused her for insurance reasons.
She is ready to be discharged with no place to go. I know if they let her out the first call she will make is to a dealer. She needs more time but the system is built for failure.
The hospital is still looking for rehabs.They get worse the further down the list. I am so frustrated. Can't treat the schizo or the drugs.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are so frustrated, it can be maddening. It sounds like she needs a dual diagnosis facility that can address both issues. Keep working with the hospital social worker and whatever place they can find for her is better than as you say, being released and immediately calling her dealer.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi WalkedOn, as the sister of someone who has been in and out of the mental health system, I know all too well how it fails those whoa re most in need. Not for quite the same reasons, as my sister has never been an addict, but she was diagnosed with schizophrenia several times. All she has to do is act normally (which she has gotten good at doing) for long enough and they let her out with a "promise" to take her meds, corroborated by her drug dealer boyfriend. Please.

Anyway, to my knowledge, the psych department in hospitals shouldn't discharge patients without someone to claim them who can guarantee a place to go...? Am I wrong about that? There are of course many loopholes to this if you know how to work the system (as in the case of my sister), but I didn't think they could just let people onto the street. I suppose I could be wrong.

Just keep working with the hospital and they surely will find a spot for her somewhere. Rehabs are much more widespread with the addiction oubreak, and depending on her insurance, they could even transport her just about anywhere within the state that has an open bed. I hope she gets the help she needs
Old 08-29-2018, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately patients can be discharged to the streets , homeless shelters.
I have not heard from the mental hospital at all. My daughter has a habit of not allowing them to contact me unless it serves her purpose.
They are looking for dual diagnosis facility but it seems most of them don't want to take on a schizophrenic.
The hospital usual calls me the day before discharge. I noticed last time they marked that as family counseling.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The Salvation Army has many very good programs, including for those with dual diagnosis. Most are free, those that are not are usually affordable or arrangements can be discussed.

Not sure where you live, so here are two links with numbers you can call to inquire.

Good luck, my prayers go out that you find something that helps.

Canada

https://www.salvationarmy.ca/what-we...tion-services/

United States

https://detoxtorehab.com/co-occurrin...tment-programs
Old 08-30-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First of all, I am so sorry with the situation you are facing. It's heartbreaking to be sure. I went through rehab back in '86 and there was no dual diagnosis where I was at back then.

I was diagnosed years later with major depressive disorder/generalized anxiety. I had struggled for a long time and refused meds when they were suggested years before that.

Today I work in mental health, and I love my job! (I would like to clarify that schizoaffective disorder isn't schizophrenia, but does present some symptoms of schizophrenia, along with other mental illness.)

I have encountered schizoaffective disorder in my work, but not combined with addiction. My heart goes out to you.

Praying for you and your daughter, and sending hugs of support from Kansas! Please don't hesitate to PM me if you ever need to talk!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Update. Daughter has been accepted at rehab but won't go til sept 10. Thankfully she will not becoming home. She is sounding better and more receptive to the idea of long term rehab.
Thanks for the encouragement Freedom.I realize there is a difference between schizo affective and schizophrenia. Daughter has been diagnosed both with bipolar thrown in for fun...Different doctors different diagnosis..
Old 08-30-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so glad she has been accepted! What a relief for you!

I hope I didn't offend you. If I did, I am so sorry. I am familiar with the schizophrenia symptoms and bipolar thrown into schizoaffective disorder.

Continuing prayers for your daughter. I completed rehab and stayed clean/sober for 4 years. Between a dysfunctional relationship and untreated mental illness, I relapsed.

Thankfully God gave me another chance, and I celebrated 28 years of continuous recovery. Recovery is possible, even with dual diagnoses! Hugs from Kansas.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not offended in the least. Good to hear you have been sober so long. That gives me hope for my daughter.
Her father is schizophrenic and has been living in a half house for 20 years. She is worried she will be like him. I've tried to tell her she is nothing like him. Hopefully she can accept the help and realize she can have a good life.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This is such good news, hope and prayers have taken her someplace good.

I can feel your relief and I am so grateful she was accepted some place that can help her and long term is so much better than short term in situations like this.

Hugs from one mama's heart to another's.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so happy to hear she has found a rehab and is in an accepting mindset of the help.

Big hugs!
Old 09-07-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My daughter will be transferred to a rehab today. When I spoke to her yesterday she was both hopeful and fearful. She said the voices were louder .I understand the stress of change makes her mental illness worse.
I'm afraid she will sign out of rehab. I have to ben strong and not pick her up if she chooses to leave.
She has been off meth for 5 weeks. I hope her pysch meds kick in.
There is so much after care that she is going to need. 24 days isn't enough time to prepare.
I might be more nervous than she .We both are in a limbo state right now. UGH
Old 09-07-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Prayers for both of you!
Old 09-08-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Adding my prayers for you and your daughter.