View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 02:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
allishope73

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
This will not be a litany of sage/wise words to the sinful or stuff. Anniversaries always affect me- this one very much so. It has been 3 years since I suffered 4th degree burns to 20% of me. That means even bone was burnt. I was dead 3 times. My family abandoned me, and post hospital with the cognitive ability of a rock- I ended up in a very dark place..dangerous housing and I coped, initially (if coping is the right word) by drinking. The burns were because of drinking. That shows how insidious and hellish alcoholism is. It defies logical or even understandable thinking. Eventually I got into a housing/recovery program and got on living. So with, coincidently 2.5 y sobriety thought I would share a few things. NOT the litany of my achievements....satisfactory as they are. No just to share a few words about what perhaps I have learnt the hard way (by suffering from dead).
Alcohol is an addiction. Addiction has only one rule- it's continued existence by not obeying any rules- be it one's family, career, home, car, friends, money or as I found out- even one's life.
SR gives everyone who reads the experiences of others- the ability to LEARN from the rock-bottoms, the hell, the horrible isolation etc of others without experiencing it first hand.
Most of us, for example will be satisfied with the advice not to point a loaded gun at someone and pull the trigger- because it is illegal, can kill them and if you do- you will go to jail for a long time..
So why can we not learn (with hard work, yes) from others?
I urge anyone who reads these words and is new or struggling- to accept my advice that working for lifelong sobriety is a goal well worth the effort. It means having daily support, a plan and backup plans and skills.
I should be dead..4 times over, but thanks in part to SR- I am beginning to thrive.
Learn from my crap experiences, post here lots and live life.
My prayers and support to y'all and thanks for reading.
(here endeth the lesson).
Inspiration ! well done and Happy Anniversary x D