Notices

3 years since the near fatal burns

Old 08-27-2018, 01:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 years since the near fatal burns

This will not be a litany of sage/wise words to the sinful or stuff. Anniversaries always affect me- this one very much so. It has been 3 years since I suffered 4th degree burns to 20% of me. That means even bone was burnt. I was dead 3 times. My family abandoned me, and post hospital with the cognitive ability of a rock- I ended up in a very dark place..dangerous housing and I coped, initially (if coping is the right word) by drinking. The burns were because of drinking. That shows how insidious and hellish alcoholism is. It defies logical or even understandable thinking. Eventually I got into a housing/recovery program and got on living. So with, coincidently 2.5 y sobriety thought I would share a few things. NOT the litany of my achievements....satisfactory as they are. No just to share a few words about what perhaps I have learnt the hard way (by suffering from dead).
Alcohol is an addiction. Addiction has only one rule- it's continued existence by not obeying any rules- be it one's family, career, home, car, friends, money or as I found out- even one's life.
SR gives everyone who reads the experiences of others- the ability to LEARN from the rock-bottoms, the hell, the horrible isolation etc of others without experiencing it first hand.
Most of us, for example will be satisfied with the advice not to point a loaded gun at someone and pull the trigger- because it is illegal, can kill them and if you do- you will go to jail for a long time..
So why can we not learn (with hard work, yes) from others?
I urge anyone who reads these words and is new or struggling- to accept my advice that working for lifelong sobriety is a goal well worth the effort. It means having daily support, a plan and backup plans and skills.
I should be dead..4 times over, but thanks in part to SR- I am beginning to thrive.
Learn from my crap experiences, post here lots and live life.
My prayers and support to y'all and thanks for reading.
(here endeth the lesson).
Old 08-27-2018, 02:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
This will not be a litany of sage/wise words to the sinful or stuff. Anniversaries always affect me- this one very much so. It has been 3 years since I suffered 4th degree burns to 20% of me. That means even bone was burnt. I was dead 3 times. My family abandoned me, and post hospital with the cognitive ability of a rock- I ended up in a very dark place..dangerous housing and I coped, initially (if coping is the right word) by drinking. The burns were because of drinking. That shows how insidious and hellish alcoholism is. It defies logical or even understandable thinking. Eventually I got into a housing/recovery program and got on living. So with, coincidently 2.5 y sobriety thought I would share a few things. NOT the litany of my achievements....satisfactory as they are. No just to share a few words about what perhaps I have learnt the hard way (by suffering from dead).
Alcohol is an addiction. Addiction has only one rule- it's continued existence by not obeying any rules- be it one's family, career, home, car, friends, money or as I found out- even one's life.
SR gives everyone who reads the experiences of others- the ability to LEARN from the rock-bottoms, the hell, the horrible isolation etc of others without experiencing it first hand.
Most of us, for example will be satisfied with the advice not to point a loaded gun at someone and pull the trigger- because it is illegal, can kill them and if you do- you will go to jail for a long time..
So why can we not learn (with hard work, yes) from others?
I urge anyone who reads these words and is new or struggling- to accept my advice that working for lifelong sobriety is a goal well worth the effort. It means having daily support, a plan and backup plans and skills.
I should be dead..4 times over, but thanks in part to SR- I am beginning to thrive.
Learn from my crap experiences, post here lots and live life.
My prayers and support to y'all and thanks for reading.
(here endeth the lesson).
Inspiration ! well done and Happy Anniversary x D
Old 08-27-2018, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great post PJ
Old 08-27-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read your post on the one year and over page, as well as here. You have a lot of wisdom to offer to us newcomers about this horrible disease. Thank you for sharing this, and your shares/responses in general.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your journey is an inspiring one, brother. Thanks for sharing it, and sharing yourself here

D
Old 08-27-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Anniversary PJ. You are an inspiration to me. My heartfelt thanks for sharing. SP xx
Old 08-27-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for being here and sharing your story, PJ.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Thanks for the inspirational post. Continued health and anniversaries to you.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Phoenix. Congrats on 2.5 years! Huge. I've read your story from the beginning and your come back is inspiring.

Why can't we learn from others? That is a question I often ask myself. It has been my experience, both personally and through observation, that many addicts have to learn for themselves. I'm that kind of learner as well, sadly. I guess it takes what it takes. I'm just glad, like you, that I didn't die before I finally learned my lesson.

You are so right tho. Addiction is progressive. If you're early stage, just know it will get worse. I hope that this moves just one person to trust that fact before they live it!
Old 08-27-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for being here and sharing your story, PJ.

You're doing the hard work.

Best wishes on your continued and inspirational journey.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post Phoenix. I've read your story in the past and its harrowing - its very inspiring that you're here and helping others.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow PJ, I hadn't heard your story before and I'm so glad that you are ok, well better than ok, that you are thriving. Thanks for sharing with us xx
Old 08-27-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just so very grateful you are here and a huuuuge part of my recovery. Great words, Oh Wise One.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. Coming from someone who has gained vast wisdom, I am taking your advice to heart. Thank you kind sir.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you PJ. I always find your posts inspirational and supportive. Very glad you survived and are here at SR.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(((((((((( PJ ))))))))))

I'm so glad you're here!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

Thank you for your inspiring post PJ and of course, your inspirational presence here on SR.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to see you. Thank you for the inspiring post. Your journey is something truly to be shared and we are all lucky you have the courage to do so. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 08-27-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

PJ, I have followed your story since you arrived here, and I so very impressed with how much you have overcome and how hard you've worked to get to where you are today.