Old 08-22-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
OpheliaKatz
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
This may well be true, but a word of caution. It's easy at this point to say - I was conned! He presented himself as something he is not and I fell for it!

Then blame yourself for not being more intuitive or following your gut feelings or whatever you choose to blame yourself with.

Please try not to do that. When someone lies to you that's all on THEM. You don't have to be "smart" or cunning or slick to lie, you just have to be able to make up a story, that's it. All of us are capable of lying and probably pretty well. That someone else would believe it - well why wouldn't you??

For instance if I told you I was a rocket scientist, why wouldn't you believe me? I could back that up with a few vague facts, it might not be until months down the road that you started to get hints that hey - she doesn't seem very "rocket- sciencey".

Now does that make you gullible or does it just make me a liar? I say it's the former. Most of the time, in my experience, most normal people do tell the truth. When you come upon someone who is a consummate liar, please don't blame yourself for believing him.

Once you started to have an inkling that all was not kosher, you started to question and he threw that back at you. Again, that's on him.
Just want to highlight everything trailmix said and also say, they lie with their actions too not just their words. So 50% of the time he's lying and behaving badly... and the other 50% you may think he's being a good father... but maybe his "good dad actions" are also part of the lie. I mean, can you really trust a liar 50% of the time? If someone is abusive, their "nice actions" are probably just manipulation to keep you in the cycle. If someone is a liar, their "truthful" actions are probably just an act so that they seem more credible. Maybe I'm overly cynical these days, but that's how I see it.