Old 08-21-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Hope things get better for you soon FreeOwl

Always love your posts. I'll never forget reading something from you very early in my sobriety (coming up on two years ago now). You said something along the lines of that they key was to stop thinking of drinking as something we can't do, but instead think of it as something we don't want to do. Once I started thinking that way, the difference was night and day, and it started to become a choice and not a rule. As we all know, very little is as tempting as the forbidden fruit... So thank you!
Thank you! And thank you for sharing those words that stuck with you.... the shift from "I can't drink" to "I want sobriety" was the single biggest success factor for me.

I'd long thought about not drinking as something I 'had to' do.....

I'd beat myself up about how 'I've GOT to QUIT!!'.

But when I began to tell myself another story, and to build a vision of how a SOBER life would be, how I WANTED that life, how being sober was admirable, cool and positive..... I stopped focusing on the loss, the powerlessness of not having choice, on the sense of 'missing out' and instead began to magnify all the goodness of being sober.

It worked.

I'm really glad it helped you a bit, too!