View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
whatsgoingon

How can I stop drinking?

So I’ve decided that I’m giving up drinking on September the 1st. I’m now worried how I’m going to do it? I am always trying to stop drinking but the addiction drags me back in. I can go a day or maybe 2 or 3 without a drink and then something takes a hold of me and I start again. It usually happens when I’m driving home from work. I will suddenly start thinking about drink and it’s like I become in a trance with only one thought in my mind. I get home and start drinking. I eventually go to bed drunk. I never sleep well and when I wake up I feel awful. I feel tired, guilty and full of remorse. I tell myself that this is the last time and I’m never going to drink again. All day I spend my time being disappointed with myself and make plans to quit. Then six o clock rolls around and it’s as if I’ve got amnesia. The thought of drinking gets into my head and the cycle starts again.

I am determined to quit on September 1st. I’ve told my wife and friends I’m going on a booze free challenge to make myself accountable. As the day gets closer I’m now worried. What do I do when the voice comes into my mind. How do I say no? Willpower alone has not worked for me, the voice is too strong. How do I regain control to quiet the voice?

Any help greately appreciated