View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GreenChair

Tomorrow - court

Tomorrow the young man who stole from me (and others) to fuel his drug habit goes to court for his plea deal to be accepted. He is asking to be admitted to drug court, which he is eligible to apply for based on the presumption of incarceration for his drug-related crimes.

Drug court will require him to go to probation 2x per week and court 1x per week during the first phase (unless he is mandated to in-patient rehab, then these provisions kick in upon release). After or instead of any in-patient rehab, he will be required to participate in an out-patient intensive program. Eventually the probation steps down to 1x week and the court monitoring to 1x month. After completing IOP, there is mandatory attendance at 12 step meetings, must have a sponsor, must have a job, must pay court fines and restitution, must not commit another crime.

The full program runs for between 3-5 years. There are built-in consequences for infractions. The court recognizes that someone in recovery will probably have slips, and they are allowed a certain number of missed probation/court dates or dirty tests them with consequences like 3 days in jail, etc. However, the "second chances" are limited, and if one fails out of the program, they are incarcerated.

At first I felt extremely bitter and revengeful (is that a word?) against this person. Now, enough time has passed and I realize that it takes too much of my energy to continue to have strong feelings about him. I never want to see him again; the only contact I want is if/when he pays the restitution I'll receive notification/payment through the probation department.

I will not be in court because the prosecutor told me it's not necessary. Originally I was going to go, but I've decided I'm taking the day off work anyway, but staying away from court. I'm going to do something nice for myself instead.

This man has two young children who live with his ex-wife and her new husband. He has had no contact with the children and is in arrears on child support (he'll have to get caught up and on an regular payment plan as another of the drug court mandates). I'm hopeful that he will succeed in drug court, that he will become a productive member of society, that he embraces a successful recovery, and someday will (re)build a relationship with his children once he is responsible enough to be with them.

If this goes well tomorrow, he will be have a strict program and assistance to rebuild his life. If this goes well tomorrow, this horrible chapter will be over for me.

If you are so inclined, say a little prayer. Thank you.