View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
trailmix

Ok so that makes it clearer to me where you are coming from. I thought you actually wanted medical help but you were fearful of it.

What kind of help do you want if any?

Do people know how to deal with the severely mentally ill? Most don't I shouldn't think. People in society are generally pretty predictable, mental illness is not. Say you pick up the phone and ask someone out for lunch, they say ok and off you go. If you call a person with an anxiety disorder, well, it's a crap shoot on whether you are going out to lunch and there may not even be a good reason. They may even agree and cancel at the last minute or not show up. People find that hard to wrap their head around.

Personally I don't expect people to understand unless it's their nearest and dearest and in that case they might do some research (like some of us do about alcoholism). If you don't know an alcoholic, chances are you don't understand alcoholism either.

Many people come in to the family and friends forum and say things like, I didn't know he was an alcoholic until 2 years later, I didn't know anyone who drank that much, thought it was something they would put aside when we got married or had children or decided to settle down etc etc. It is out of their realm of experience so they don't understand it, don't know how to deal with it.

So I think you are going to perhaps cut them a lot of slack. They don't understand and it's not likely they will anytime soon.

I think you have mentioned but I can't remember, have you ever attended AA meetings?