Thread: Gabe's Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 12:54 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
DontRemember

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
No yet, I've got the BB and the 12 and 12, plus a guide. Tbh I've struggled with step 1 and have mentally been fighting against that for a long time. I'm starting to become really aware that a lot of my thinking is off. The steps are making a lot of sense for me. Did you have anyone helping you through them? Like a sponsor?
My first day at AA, I shared. I had wanted to go to AA for a couple years,but was affraid/embarrassed. So.. Eventually I was court ordered after my DUI. Anyways.. I said " I'm court ordered to be here,but I know I really need it. I need help." and I started crying.. I'm a 'tough guy' and look the part.. but,I was just done! Everyone gave me their numbers,but I didn't call. I did start showing up to more meetings than required and would read the steps/skim thru the book. Study/think them through..and go to different meetings. At a few meetings I had a mixed drink in my cup,but I listened and soaked as much in as I could..then one day,after another breakup with my exAgf, I picked up the phone and talked to a guy for over an hour instead of drinking over it..I talked through it and listened. Over the 8-10mo I attended(I was court oredered to 3mo twice/wk) I caught myself calling someone (I had 50+ numbers) or asking someone from here if I was having a hard time with anything that I might drink at/over(life) or something that I was struggling with about the book/steps(I've also never read the whole book). Surrender and acceptance that there are things I can't control(even my own thoughts at times) , for me, was the key to my sobriety.

That's a short summary(ramble) of my AA experience.

Edit: Super short version; I'll say I have/had a lot of sponsors. both from the rooms and out of them. I finally surrounded myself with positivity,instead of negativity in life.