Thread: Tired of myself
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BDTL
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
Hi Lascaux,

First of all, a problem with alcohol is neither a moral issue nor an issue of weakness/lack of willpower - it is truly a disease. Science is just at the cusp of formally recognizing this, so don't get caught up in feeling like you're failing people because of some shortcoming that you could easily change if only you had the moral compass to do so.

That said, it is possible to change. Don't bother with worrying about forever; as the others have said, only worry about today when it comes to drinking. For other aspects of your life, go ahead and plan, but for drinking: make a one-day plan each day that centers around NOT drinking at any cost. Perhaps that means going to several AA meetings, getting some numbers to call if you feel the urge, confessing this problem to your friends (who probably already know)... it can take many forms. You have to be willing to do anything to get there, and unfortunately it invariably means swallowing some pride and learning humility. It's not easy by any means.

You know you have a problem. Don't let it get any worse. You say to yourself while sober "I'd never squander these opportunities", but you've already admitted that when drinking, you let things slide and are incapable of giving anything your all. I know precisely how this is. Nothing matters when I'm drinking except MORE drinking, and more and more and more...

Please look into feasible options sooner rather than later. Future you will be so thankful
What he said^^^^^^^

Attending AA meetings was step 1 for me and telling all those who knew I drink was step 2. Once I let family and friends know that I am done with drinking, a huge weight was off my chest. I knew if they really cared for me that they would be in my corner. If they didn't show support, then I went ahead and worked my plan without them. You have to make this decision on your own and don't let anyone get in your head about where you are going with it. Don't waste another day of your life letting the poison slow you down. There is too much good to enjoy on the sober side of life!