View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
maia1234

Russell,
Its a great question, as I am sure many people are concerned about walking into some "cult" type enviornment. I worked at a church and we had 7 meetings a week. Our church was open everyday even holidays, to support the alanon and the AA members that needed help. The meetings never took a day off and we never closed our doors. As said above churchs are a safe and cheap place to have meetings, and there are churchs in every town. The Church community feels that there are people in need, and we have open rooms to help either a "parishioner or neighbor" in the community.

I walked into my first meeting scared to death, wondering if "maybe" my husband was an alcoholic. I was shocked when I walked out of the meeting realizing he was. I went to a couple meetings and bought some books and would read them. But, I didn't go back for another 10 years, when I was at my lows of lows, as alcoholism is one of those progressive disease. It only gets worse

I realized I couldn't survive being an alcoholics wife, he was the addict and I was going crazy. SR, alanon and open aa meetings (open aa meetings are for friends, family and addicts) saved my life. For 30 years I tried to control the situation, once I stepped aside and let things happen as they were supposed to, my life calmed down. Facts I learned in all my meetings.

We are all come to alanon looking for that piece of paper on "how to get our alcohlic sober and live happily ever after", it just doesnt exist. Then you really realize the meetings are about how are you are feeling today and what I can do to take care of myself today. Its about self care and putting on your oxygen mask first, which for a long time we didn't even have enough time to breath.

Keep reading this forum . This place is an amazing support for all of us. Hang in there my friend, you have nothing to lose by checking out a meeting!! Its not a "God thing".
((((((((hugs))))))))))