Non Religious Person and Al-Anon

Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non Religious Person and Al-Anon

Hello,

This is my first post here. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with going to Al-Anon meetings who was not a religious person. I am not religious in any way and I am actually pretty anti religion for reasons I won't get into.

My wife is struggling with alcohol abuse and it has affected our relationship. She does not think she is an alcoholic but frankly all the signs are there and I fear things are going to get worse before they get better. She is in therapy now which I hope will help but she is still abusing alcohol.

I feel like going to a meeting where I could just talk about the struggle and even vent a little would be helpful. She's asked me not to talk about this with my parents or most of my friends. Some friends know but I feel like sometimes it would be helpful to talk to people outside my circle of friends.

Does anyone have any perspective on going to these meetings as a non religious person? I am not going to "surrender to god" or any of that stuff but I was wondering if it would be helpful nonetheless. I know some people will say "just try it and see if it works" but we have a 1 year old son, and both work with long commutes and time is a valuable resource. Looking for any feedback both positive and negative. Thank you for reading.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

I have many friends in Alanon who are atheist, agnostic and of various faith. Alanon is open to all. The wording "Higher Power" and "God of our understanding" is open to many interpretations that can develop and change over time.

The words came from people who found solutions and recovery from this disease of alcoholism together, in ways they hadn't experienced before. These traditions are the basis of welcoming newcomers. It's much like the symbolism on the US dollar bill that says "In God We Trust". No faith required to carry it with you, to use it and get results from it!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome,

Well, my experience with Al-Anon is entirely limited as I only attended once. I do think, based on research and that one meeting that it would absolutely be helpful.

What you are saying is heard in the alcoholism forums on a regular basis. What I always wonder is why wouldn't you want to attend anyway.

For alcoholics AA for friends and family of Alcoholics Al-Anon. So what do they offer?

A group of people that understand what you are going through, phone numbers of group members for when you need to talk, materials that have stood the test of time for you to read and show you a way forward.

And a religious component.

When I went to Al-Anon a woman that spoke to me (and gave me her number) said, don't worry about all that if you aren't religious, I'm not either.

So my question to you (and to alcoholics who wonder this about AA as well) is why wouldn't you attend? Is any group perfect? No. But I can respect those that do appreciate the small religious component. I can respect others beliefs. I can stand while they pray.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Try it, if the first group doesn't suit, try another.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Russell......Many agnostics and atheists go to al anon. It is not Church...or a religious meeting. It is a support group.....
Old 07-17-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My recommendation would be for you to do some reading of Alanon literature and of the 12 Steps so you have some understanding of Alanon principles. It is NOT a religious program. It IS a spiritual one. If you are looking for a "how to" session on how to control your alcoholic wife and her drinking, or on how not to feel anything about your situation, you will be disappointed.

Alanon isn't for everyone, it's true. But the best way to find out is to give it a shot. And it's recommended to try several different meetings--each will have its own "flavor" and will likely have a different format.

Time is a valuable resource for all of us. What value do you put on your own life? Is it worth an hour for a meeting?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
The wording "Higher Power" and "God of our understanding" is open to many interpretations that can develop and change over time.
^^^^^this exactly ^^^^^

Al-anon has been filled with great knowledge for me. Knowledge about alcoholism and about what roll I as the none drinking partner play in the relationship and with the disease.

Our meeting ends with everyone standing in a circle and holding hands and saying the Our Father prayer. Many leave the meeting prior to that, many don’t want to hold hands and stand outside of the circle………….as they say there are NO MUSTS in al-anon.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
So my question to you (and to alcoholics who wonder this about AA as well) is why wouldn't you attend? Is any group perfect? No. But I can respect those that do appreciate the small religious component. I can respect others beliefs. I can stand while they pray.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Try it, if the first group doesn't suit, try another.
Trailmix, so very, very well said! Thank you.

It's not like Alanon initiates will kidnap you and indoctrinate you. It's not a cult. In fact, one of the things you'll hear regularly is "take what you like and leave the rest." That's not very cult-like, is it?

Give it a shot.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As my late alcoholic bestie once said, "The refrigerator can be your higher power if you want it to be."
Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

What I deeply relate to:

We are all made individually, unique and different for a reason. We are meant to have individual, unique and different experiences in life. These are what really give strength to any group of people and allows for a strength and knowledge beyond any knowing of the one individual.
Strength also comes from knowing, embracing and going beyond our individuality.

One viewpoint on prayer by one atheist.

By Jerry DeWitt

Last week my mother called to give me some very bad news: A young relative had died early that morning. He was a man whose entire life was one series of life-threatening situations after another. He was born with severe birth defects. So, although his untimely death came as no real surprise, it was still shocking and heartbreaking to our family. He had overcome so many seemingly impossible health challenges that one more “medical miracle” didn’t seem out of the question.

For over 25 years I faced similar soul-shattering scenarios, but I had always believed that my relationship with God and my communications with him (through prayer) would carry us through any situation, no matter how painful.

But then I became an atheist.

So what does an ex-believer do when praying to a God you no longer believe in is not an option?

Admittedly, even though I believe that “nothing fails like prayer” to actually get anything done, there are personal benefits to the very act of praying itself. These benefits have been clearly documented by physicians, psychologists and philosophers in countless books over the last few decades. My approach is different. It’s neither clinical nor scholarly. I’m simply asking the question of how to pray when you’re an atheist because I loved to pray as a Christian and I still love praying as a nonbeliever.

So, yes, to get the most pressing question out of the way, an atheist can in fact pray (if we stretch the definition of prayer just a little).

So here are four keys to praying like a Pentecostal... as an atheist.

1. Find a good listener.

During prayer we experience the benefit of having the perfect sounding board, an imaginary listener who never interrupts and never makes themselves the subject of our conversation. Atheists may never be able to fully fool themselves into believing that someone else is actually listening whenever they speak out into the void, but the practice can still be very effective. My best suggestion is to find a true friend with whom to share not only your innermost thoughts but your life. In the course of writing my book, I poured my heart out to my co-writer Ethan Brown. His unquestioning attention and the safe place that it created for me did more good than all my years of praying combined. If you can’t make a good friend, hire a great therapist.

2. Be real.

When sharing our innermost thoughts and feelings with no one or no-thing, there’s far less pressure to maintain a facade or pretend to be better off than we really are. It feels refreshing to step into our prayer closets and allow ourselves to become emotionally naked. If you have a friend who can be completely trusted, this should still be possible for the nonbeliever. If not, please don’t let this exercise pass you by. Find a secluded space, start talking out loud about what’s troubling you, and don’t stop until you know that you’re no longer pretending or hiding from your true self on any level.

3. Let go.

Some atheists seem to struggle with the idea of “going with the flow” with their emotions. Unrestrained emotions are considered by a portion of nonbelievers to only belong to the domain of religion. For that reason they feel that some forms of emotional expression can be dangerous. In the religious world I was raised in, emotional displays were not only allowed but expected. In my experience, you’ll know when you’re no longer hiding when the tears begin to flow.

4. Listen to your heart.

The combination of feeling as if you have the ultimate listener’s undivided and nonjudgmental attention with complete self-honesty mixed with emotional release can all work together to make the act of praying both comforting and regenerating.

You might ask, “This kind of prayer may ‘feel’ good, but what if I’m seeking advice?” Again, ifmy opinion is correct and there really never was anyone listening to your prayers during your believing days, then who was really giving you advice and direction? Well, you gave it to yourself. This one realization alone changed my life dramatically for the better. You possess more insight and strength than you probably realize. So pour your heart out and then listen to what it has to say about your situation.

The Way Forward

Atheists (and everyone one else, for that matter) should never stop “praying.” That is to say everyone should have a good listener in their lives, and everyone should strive to be completely honest with themselves, to the point of bringing their emotional selves to the surface.

As my family navigates the grieving process over this precious person we have now physically lost from our lives, there will undoubtedly be much praying. Of course, some of those prayers will only be the handed-down mumblings of religious tradition that we use to fill the space created by the uncomfortable silence that naturally arises from a loss for words. Other prayers will be more sincere expressions of supplication, asking for personal strength or for the divine support of another grieving loved one. Yet most of the praying that my family will engage in will simply be to each other. This form of personal, highly emotional prayer not only passes the time but helps all of us emerge from life’s hardest tests.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I guess I wouldn't want to go and waste my time if it would be filled with religious advice and talk about how Jesus will be my savior and if i just give myself to the lord everything will be fine. I really don't like organized religion. It rubs me the wrong way in almost every aspect and if I was going to be walking into a defacto mass, I didn't want to waste my time.

Obviously many feel this is not a concern I should have. I'm certainly willing to try it and based on the feedback I shouldn't be worried.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is good

This is the closing statement usually read by the chairperson and most Al-Anon Family Group meetings.

In closing I would like to say that the opinions expressed here were strictly those of the person who gave them. Take what you liked and leave the rest.

The things you heard were spoken in confidence and should be treated as confidential. Keep them within the walls of this room and the confines of your mind.

A few special words to those of you who haven’t been with us long: Whatever your problems there are those among us who have had them, too. If you try to keep an open mind you will find help. You will come to realize that there is no situation too difficult to be bettered and no unhappiness too great to be lessened.

We aren’t perfect. The welcome we give you may not show the warmth we have in our hearts for you. After a while, you’ll discover that though you may not like all of us you’ll love us in a very special way, the same way we already love you.

Talk to each other, reason things out with someone else but let there be no gossip or criticism of one another. Instead, let the understanding love and peace of the program grow in you one day at a time.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is good

Many Al-Anon family group meetings begin with the "Suggested Al-Anon/Alateen Welcome":

"We welcome you to the [Name of Group] Al-Anon Family Group and hope you will find in this fellowship the help and friendship we have been privileged to enjoy. We who live, or have lived, with the problem of alcoholism understand as perhaps few others can. We, too, were lonely and frustrated, but in Al-Anon we discover that no situation is really hopeless, and that it is possible for us to find contentment, and even happiness, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not."
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is good

In between "the traditional stuff" things get real.

No more lies.

No more being fake in order to please someone else.

Freedom to say what's on my mind and in my heart.

Thank you, Al-anon family groups!

One member here at SR used to call it "the better parent club" -- or maybe he called it the "better daddy club" and I adapted it to my situation. Either way, it's what helped get me to meetings and has most definitely helped me in being a better parent.

I'm glad you're here.

Reading and posting can be therapeutic. Take what you like and leave the rest!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is the newcomer welcome we read when our group has someone new.

As a newcomer you may feel that you are here tonight for the alcoholic…
that your presence here may teach you how to stop his or her drinking.
The truth is you are here because of the alcoholic and not for the alcoholic.
You will soon learn you did not cause the alcoholic to drink,
you cannot control the drinking, nor can you cure the alcoholic.
You are here for yourself. You and you alone are responsible for
dealing with your own pain. This is your program, it is your recovery
from the effects of the disease of alcoholism.

You will find love, understanding, and a lot of hope from the AlAnon Family Group.The people around you tonight are experiencing in varying degrees the hurt,the anger, the anxiety that you are experiencing. We in AlAnon share
our experiences because it helps us to focus on ourselves and our recovery.
We do this with the use of the AlAnon tools of the program
(steps, slogans, literature) which will be provided to you.

AlAnon will work for you if you allow it to. It's as effective
as you make it. It's the safe place, the right place to be.
Feel free to ask any questions or you may feel more comfortable just listening.
That's fine, too. There are no "musts" in AlAnon.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been going to AA for 26 years and I'm an agnostic. As it says in the literature it's "a higher power as we understand him/her". Anything can be your higher power; for me God = group of drunks.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm non-religious but the Higher Power talk doesn't bother me at all because spiritually, I identify with there being much at work that my human senses can identify. A lady blessed me with all her religious talk in the grocery store last week but I didn't take offense because her tone & her intentions were clearly well-meaning.

I find comfort in trusting my process without feeling stressed to know every part of the minutiae along the way. I know I don't have all the answers inside of me or I wouldn't be needing guidance throughout life to begin with; it's easy for me to relate to being interconnected to all of Life & that web kind of representing the higher power aspect. To me HP = Connection to Life. Every baby step simply connects me to the next.

So I can't help but feel that when people (general people, not directed at the OP specifically) hear God/HP talk in things like Al-Anon & only focus on the semantics vs the bigger picture, well, it seems like an active choice toward supporting their sense of uniqueness in this process - that special snowflake syndrome - instead of sifting through the pieces that fit & using them to springboard to the next stage of understanding/acceptance/healing.

Of course, depending on the group you may find that some lean more heavily on religion & that's ok - that' why there are generally multiple groups to choose from in many areas. Hopefully there is a "fit" for everyone or enough open mindedness in the existing groups to embrace change.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Russell, can you tell us why you're so concerned about Alanon being religious? Is it b/c the meetings tend to be held at churches? Did you read something online? Has someone you know told you this?

Regarding the church part, the meetings are NOT held in churches b/c Alanon is in any way affiliated with any particular religion or church., as evidenced by the fact that meetings in my area are in Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian, and Presbyterian churches, to name a few. It's simply b/c churches tend to have rooms available for use. In my area, there are also 2 meetings held in general hospitals, two in psych hospitals, and a handful in various Alano clubs (AA/Alanon facilities, usually w/meeting rooms, a library, often a snack/soft drink/coffee bar, and room to socialize) in addition to those in churches.

You may see meetings listed for Spanish speakers, LGBT folk, Alateen for teens, or women- or men-only meetings. Some folks are thrown by meetings specifying "open" or "closed." I volunteered for a time at the local Alanon service center, and often the calls I took were from people seeking help but thinking that b/c the meetings in their area specified "closed", they were not allowed to attend. I explained that "closed" did not mean the meeting would not allow new members, simply that attendance was limited to those who had a friend or family member whose drinking was a problem for the caller. "Open", on the other hand, means anyone may attend. And to avoid any further fears about attending, NO, no one will question you as to why/how you qualify to be there!

Another fear that people often have is that they will be forced to stand up in front of the whole group and tell every detail of their story. This is not even close to true. When the opening of the meeting is complete and people are going around the circle, sharing their thoughts and experiences, when it comes to your turn, IT IS ABSOLUTELY OK TO SAY "I'm just going to listen tonight, thanks." Newbies do this, and those who've been around for a while do it too. It's totally OK.

Alanon is not about a bunch of people whining about the A in their lives. It's a powerful resource for education, f2f support, and inspiration FOR YOU. In my experience, you get out of it what you put into it. I hope that the replies you've received here put some of your concerns to rest. Again, if you can say why it is that you feel so concerned, we may be able to address your concerns more specifically.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Because the meetings are all held at churches and the countless references to god in the 12 steps.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Russell142 View Post
Because the meetings are all held at churches and the countless references to god in the 12 steps.
The meeting I went to was at a church, but based on what I understood, it wasn't about religion - and it truly wasn't.

After the meeting was opened one person read a passage from the Al-Anon literature.

The rest of the time spent was people (who wanted to) speaking about what is going on in their lives and how they are handling that and how they would have handled it before. Or, how they think they slipped up and put themselves back on the right path of keeping to their side of the street.

The group stood at the end of the meeting and said the serenity prayer I think. That was the "religious" component of the entire meeting.

It's not a religious meeting at all. If you find you do stumble in to one with a religious base you aren't comfortable with, just move on to the next one in your area.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Churches have cheap meeting spaces, and depending on the organization they will sometimes provide the space for free. Where I live, that ain't something to sneeze at.