View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Hey Russell142,
Welcome!
Non-religious person here who has gone to AlAnon meetings for decades. It was the thing that most turned my head around when I was in my twenties in relation to my growing up with an A father and having to come to terms with my 3 brothers' alcoholism, and how was I going to cope???

I did have a variety of meetings to choose from, since I live in a big city, they all had their own group personalities.

People spoke a lot abut the higher power concept, for some it was convenient they had a God they already believed in, for others they just made their cat their higher power. For me it was the concept that was important, it is the concept of letting go, the concept of accepting that I could not control things.

I never felt oppressed by people in the meeting who were super religious. Live and let live. Those people in the meetings weren't the problem! My problem was learning how to deal with my alcoholic loved ones whose insanity was tearing me apart, and was distracting me from my own goals, dreams and problems.

Following the AlAon program whether it referenced God or Dog is what helped me. I didn't let semantics or annoyance get in my way! That's what alcoholics do - they use any excuse to say, "That doesn't work for me! I'm not like them!" and they just keep drinking. So I realized I could keep feeling sick and obsessing about my A loved ones or I could follow directions and get healthy in the head and stop my own destructive patterns. Keep an open mind.

Peace,
B.