Thread: I feel so sad
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tracer

I feel so sad

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new here and in recovery from addiction myself. I recently dated someone who is imo an addict in denial. she uses pot daily to help her sleep but also to deal with life. It was a big red flag for me when she told me she was a pothead, but I didnt realize how much until we had a few dates. We are both in our 50's. Although I only dated her for a few weeks I really fell for her and when she told me that she basically smokes pot all the time except when she is at work we kind of mutually decided the relationship wouldnt work out. I told her that it would be hard for me to be around someone who uses a lot so she basically ended it to spare me from a relapse myself. She has no interest in stopping using even though she agreed that she is probably somewhat addicted as mentally it really helps her get thru her life. her previous relationship was destroyed by her exes alcoholism and she herself has been to AA but see's pot as the answer to the alcohol problem. She very much wanted us to remain friends but because I really fell for her and also the fact that she is using and I am in recovery, I opted against a friendship. Now I miss her like crazy. We had some fun dates and a lot in common. I am trying to do the no contact thing but I just feel horrible like I abandoned her. My sponsor has told me that I should not reach out to her, that I am addicted and should treat her like a drug urge, but I just want to meet her for coffee and talk, maybe I could be a positive force in her life to get off the weed and into sobriety. She admitted to having addiction issues. I just miss her. we used to text a lot and I miss that. I feel sad for her as she is going thru some hard stuff in her life right now and maybe the pot really is helping her. I'd love some feedback and/or support on how to deal with this situation. thanks.