View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Plenny…...I wish that people only knew that if they go into inpatient detox for (usually) a few days....(This is NOT rehab)…..they can avoid all of the physical and mental discomfort ,,,and the dangers....of the detoxing period.
I think that out of ignorance and stubbornness, many refuse to go....

I also, think that m any people confuse detoxification with rehabilitation...and call the whole thing "rehab"...…

Detoxification is done under the guidance of medical staff....who watch, closely, over the patient, and give medications according to the patient's need.
This eliminates the discomfort, shakes, and anxiety that goes along with the first few days of sobriety....
There is no need for a person to suffer! I have, personally detoxed a few hundred alcoholics....and, for the most part, only a minority had to go on to intensive care....Those were the ones who were I n the worst shape, for one reason or another...…

I think that a lot of people start to detox, on their own, and relapse, right away, because of the discomfort (and danger) of trying to go cold turkey "on their own"...…
Detoxing on one's own...cold turkey...can be very dangerous....anything from Delerium Tremens to withdrawl seizures, to cardiovascular complications form sky-high blood pressure and pulse rates.....etc. can happen.....

If he is really serious...I suggest that he call his doctor and ask to go to a hospital to be detoxed....or, just go to an emergency room and ask to be admitted for detoxification..(if that hospital has a detox unit)…….
(one can call the local hospitals and ask if they have an alcoholism detoxification unit)…...a doctor would also know.....