View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I found myself living alone in the first few weeks of recovery. It was the best thing that could have happened, though it wasn't my choice. It kind of cleared the decks of a lot of external pressures, left me with know one to balme, or resent. If the bed wasnt made, a meal not cooked, the place untidy etc, I need look no further than myself.

Reading your responses, you completely missed the point in my earlier post, so I will make a shorter more clear attempt.

Victims don't recover. I have seen it so many times where an individual wants to set them selves apart. "Yes but you don't understand, my case is different" is the catch phrase, and whenever anything remotely uncomforatably crops up, they wheel out the victimhood as the unique reason why they cant do this or that. As a result, they don't recover.

If you read my post again you will see that I am not advocating meetings as a path to recovery. They are not for that. They are a part of a bigger thing. No one here is saying you don't have problems, serious ones, and there is no doubt these problems have made matters worse.

There is only one way forward, IME, and that is to face the problems probably one at a time. First, get the alcohol and drugs out of the picture, then get help with your other issues, own your part, and cease being a victim.

If you are wondering what your part is, you might look at how you have been using you misfortune as an excuse to reject all reasonable offers of help. You don't have to be a victim anymore.