Old 07-24-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
kevlarsjal2

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I understand what you mean. The difference between making genuine progress and just pretending everything is hunky dory but suffering for it.

You know what, I think you are confusing the "true you" with the anxious you. Things like going to the store shouldn't be a huge issue. Are you being treated for anxiety and/or depression?

You're right, you shouldn't be having a meltdown because of them. Repetitive exposure to situations that make you uncomfortable helps some people - it doesn't help everyone, just like not every treatment is suitable for everyone and looks like it's not helping you very much. Have you discussed this with your therapist? You might need to find a new therapist, a new treatment, new medications (if you are even taking any).

I get what you are saying and no, that's not normal and no, you shouldn't feel you just have to struggle on pretending.
Thanks for your post trailmix! Actually I am not so sure what I am treated for. Alcoholism and depression I guess. But I don't have any paper that states a diagnose. I don't take any meds either, just some plant based stuff.

With the supermarket, it's not really anxiety related. I do feel anxious a lot about other things but it's more of an overwhelming situation because there are so many items and prices to compare. I don't enjoy going shopping for clothes either, it exhausts me to look at so many things.
My therapist thinks that I am hyperaware of my surroundings and therefore constantly scanning for a possible danger. I am not sure this is true. I didn't grow up in the happiest family but it wasn't a scene of constant danger either. And I never feel threatened by my surroundings, just overwhelmed.

I guess I really have to talk to her. It was just recently I was reviewing my progress and how I feel about the therapy when these thoughts came up. She is currently away but I will just have to talk to her once she's back.