Old 07-24-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MyLittleHorsie

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal2 View Post
I am in my late 20s and sober for 1 year and 9 months. I do whatever my therapist asks me to and I succeed. I try to break my routines to be more flexible and I try to get better at improvising. I meet friends outside where there is a lot of noise. I am not shy, I was never shy. I am perfectly comfortable talking in business meetings when there is a clear structure and I have no problems talking on a stage either.
I don't mind one on one conversations with friends in a quiet setting. But some things they just stress and overwhelm me so much. When I go to dinner with a group I get confused about who to talk to and I can barely separate the different conversations and all the noise is constantly distracting me. I don't think I can get used to this. I am practising this for over 1.5 years now and whereas I get better at hiding how stressed I feel, I don't get less stressed in many situations. This was just one example but it's so many every day tasks that I struggle with. Finances and paying bills is okay. It's just really odd things that stress me out massively. Like my room mate wanting to buy a different colour of dish clothes. I know that it shouldn't stress me. I can't even say why it does. I just know that these things don't get better, I just get better at hiding them cause I know I shouldn't have a meltdown because of stuff like that.
Perhaps you need a different therapist. My husband is on I believe his 4th to deal with the issues he has from growing up in an abusive home. Not all therapists fit all people.