Thread: My journey
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

I agree with the others here who've said that recovery means action.

It would be good to think that a simple declaration could change our lives but I made that 'I will not drink' declaration many times and went back to drinking anyway - often the same day, or even the same hour.

I needed to do a few other things as well.

The first thing was be prepared for discomfort.

The early days can be rough and the one tool we have to deal with rough days is no longer a viable option for us.

Support will help. I recommend posting more than just 'day 6' or whatever - really talk about whats going on, where you need help etc.

I also recommend posting more than just once a day or every few days. you really need to work hard at not drinking.

If SR is not enough help for you, consider real life supports like AA or other meeting based groups, or Rational Recovery, as dwtbd describes above.

It would be great too if we didn't have to make any changes to our lives - but my whole life was geared to drinking.

I needed to make changes to the way I had fun, the way I solved problems, the way I dealt with pain...you get the picture.

Again, not easy but that's where the support comes in again.

Looking for the reasons we drink can be useful - but not at the cost of action. Action really is key.

This is a good link to get you started on what a good recovery action plan might look like for you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

Put the effort into your recovery - you'll get back what you put in slipnslide

D