View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Neyce2393

Any advice would be appreciated

Hello, I'm just going to dive right in here. I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for about 2 years now and he's been an alcoholic the entire time. I'll spare most of the details since we have been through so much already and I would spend hours on here explaining it all. Fast forward to about 6 months ago, he openly expressed that he needed help and agreed to detox and and enter a recovery program(this is after his drinking was at its worst 1-2 fifths of whiskey a night) he was no doubt addicted and in serious need of help. He attended the recovery program and didn't drink for almost the entire time(best time of our relationship together) he had gained new coping skills, a sense of pride in himself again, and started to repair the relationships in his life(with his kids, me parents,and friends) overall he was happy. He had a few relapses along the way(which is understandable) but overall he was doing great. Then things stared to change about a month ago. He would come home and go directly to the garage and spend hours in there. At first I didn't think much about it considering his profession(automotive technician) but after about 4 days of him spending almost all of his time there I was worried since it wasn't normal for him. I asked him if anything was going on and if he was ok and he repetitively said "I'm fine" Shortly after that I went out to the garage to tell him dinner was ready. To my surprise he was tipping up a bottle of wild turkey 101. I was at a complete loss for words and I felt generally disgusted at the sight of him. That feeling in itself was something I've never felt before and I never though I would regarding him. He followed me inside the house and began to talk to me about how he was struggling with work and worried about finances as a reason to justify the drinking. At this point I was angry, very angry and I don't know why. Maybe subconsciously I had dealt with too much already and i couldnt listen to it anymore. I told him i didn't want to talk about it right then and we ate in silence. The next day we did discuss it and the only thing he could tell me was that this is how he handles things in life and if I didn't like it then to leave. I love this man and I dont want our relationship to be destroyed over this but I'm at my wits end. At times I feel like it's me and maybe I'm not being considerate enough to his feelings but then when I try and talk to him about his feeling he always deflects and we never talk about it. I have no idea what to do anymore and if anyone could give me any advice or a change of perspective I would greatly appreciate it.