Old 07-20-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
searchforpeace8

Need advice - my husband and I both wanting to get sober

My husband and I are both admittedly alcoholics. We have tried in the past to get sober together, but it's so hard. After a few days or even weeks, one of us will crack and the other follows.
We have agreed that tonight is our last night of drinking and tomorrow will be our first day of sobriety. We're both ready to end this chapter and begin living sober, meaningful lives. The problem is that we've attempted this in the past ... many times. I feel like this time we need to do something different. I feel like I need a change of scenery (away from him) to focus on me. I am considering rehab or just a road trip to visit my best friend (who supports my sobriety) to get away from the everyday stuff that triggers another drinking binge. I am a teacher and I have about 5 weeks left until school starts again, so I know the time is now.
We also have two young daughters, which makes things even more challenging. It's hard to focus on ourselves, when we're also caring for two others. I've thought that maybe I could take our older daughter on a road trip or he can even go stay with his parents for a while. Although Idk that his parent's house is a good option b/c his dad drinks.
Has anyone been able to get sober with their partner? I know this is a solo journey, but I'd like to keep our marriage in tact. Other than the issues with alcohol, we have a very happy marriage.
I guess what I am asking is this: Is it better for us to be apart for a while to get sober or just give it another go together?
Any input that anyone has is welcome and appreciated.