Thread: Relapsed
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Gerard, I don't know if this will help you but it helped me this last time around. I made a plan to taper off with my drinking over the course of the next four days, then quit on Day 5. I told someone whose regard I respect that this is what I was going to do. And then I stopped. Just stopped! I figured I'd get through that one day. And the next day I did the same. No drama, no sweeping declarations, no swearing off. Just stopped.

It was a very quiet event, and it was only for me that I did it. Aside from reporting my progress to that one person (and here), there is no public announcement. No shame, either. It just happens to be that I'm not drinking today. 38 todays later, it feels like the thing I do. It's not necessarily comfortable, nor is it uncomfortable. It just is. And I do like it better than the aftermath/continuation of yesterday's misery.

So glad you're here posting and going to SMART too - that's a great beginning.

O

p.s. It's not recommended around here to taper as it's very difficult to keep things in check once you start drinking. There are plenty of other ways to get to Day 1 - pick one!