Old 07-15-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Oh yes by all means I vote GO!

I have the same situation for decades with my alcoholic brothers. And I struggled in my twenties with how to "help."

I learned in AlAnon that, since I did not have a choice over whether they continued to drink or not the choices I had were:
Let their addiction take over my one life, leaving me stunted, depressed, unhealthy and depleted (and them still drinking or not).
OR
Live my best life, water myself like a garden, flourish and grow to the best of my ability, manage the things I can control about my own life, solve my own problems, pursue my own dreams (and them still drinking or not).

Doesn't mean I don't love my brothers. And I can tell them that endlessly, but it does mean I do not enable them, and I do not give their addiction power over my life. I will score no goals for Team Alcohol.

Besides, the living example of a healthy happy person is inspiring to everyone around them whether a normie or an addict.

Remember it doesn't mean you don't love him! Addiction warps all the regular rules of love and loyalty and affection, believe it.

An addict may say right to your face, "You wouldn't do [XYZ good thing for yourself] if you loved me." Or "Oh, you have money to spend on [XYZ good thing for yourself] but you can't lend me $$$ to help me out." But that is simply not true. Not true. Not true. And everyone on this forum can verify that. An alcoholic will use any means necessary to keep drinking: guilt, obligation, fear, lying, drama, sweetness, savagry - anything in their deck of cards. And they will just keep drinking and causing misery for themselves and loved ones, no matter how much we give or don't give. Their drinking is not MY fault.

Bon voyage! I've been to Australia - it's absolutely marvelous, don't miss it.
Peace,
B.