Thread: End of Journey
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
boreas

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
by asking on SR, you're asking people who mostly weren't able to just quit & be done with it, so the responses you get are probably going to reflect that.
I feel sure that there are many people who came here for a time, learned what they needed, then drifted away and are off living sober lives. I’m not sure how I will be in the future. Closing in on one year, I feel that I am on somewhat of a continuum, moving closer to a drink some days, swinging closer to serenity without thoughts of alcohol, alcoholism, etc. most days. I view my efforts into growth, understanding, being better today than yesterday as part of what helps me stay sober, but also part of my responsibility to become a better person. That work will continue for the rest of my life.

Those days when things turn a little south, I know I need to put some thought into why I got sober in the first place. Reading the stories on SR is part of that. It reminds me that I am not special, and that no matter where I am on the spectrum of alcoholism everyone’s story could be my own. As Stella said, vigilance.

Will I need those same reminders in 5 years? Who knows. But if I do, I know where I can find them.

Great, thought provoking thread.
-bora