View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AWald88

Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
I’m actually wondering if there’s anyone here like me. You see, I don’t drink that much. Very rarely is it more than a six pack in a day, and more usually four. The problem is, I can’t seem to follow my own self-imposed limits, like “only on the weekends” etc. Sometimes, I’m full of resolve about it, and quit for a week or so without withdrawals, but then my resolve can just as quickly evaporate, and I pick up some beer on the way home.

Because of how I drink, it’s easy to rationalize that I don’t have a drinking problem (I’ve left off using the term alcoholic completely, except for use in post titles). So, it would be great to hear from others like myself, for encouragement and perspective.

I used to post here a long time ago, but I prefer to come at this fresh. I’ve chosen to give quitting another go (moderate use has seen sufficient experimentation to prove its failure as an option). I’m 51 now, and worried about my future health, and seeing my grandchildren grow up.

Thanks.
Hi Mate

I was very much where you are saying but I don't drink that much so how can I be an alcoholic.

I offer you the definition I have settled on. If I decided (which I did) to not drink for 1 year and found that I faced strong urges to drink which I had to struggle to control. I would have to admit to having a problem.