Thread: Antidepressants
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I am on a low dose (.5 mg) of aprazolam taken at night for anxiety and a low dose of pramipexole (a dopamine agonist) at night for restless legs. My other meds are 2 inhalers for breathing. The aprazolam was prescribed by a GP and the others by my pulmonologist. I think a counselor would benefit me, but I don't want to add another errand (driving trip) for my husband. If I were in NY, I get along on my own. Husband wants to sell NY house and I am ridden with depression and anxiety feeling doomed to be isolated with being afraid to drive here in Fl traffic. I have health problems accompanied by health anxieties. I like my NY doctors and am loathe to find new ones here.

Fortunately I am not overweight (yet), but my diet is horrible and my muscle tone is deteriorating from lack of exercising. Sometimes the anxiety is so bad at night, I eat. Last night I couldn't sleep and ate almost a whole package of cookies while reading. I am pre-diabetic, so those cookies didn't do me any good, but somehow it makes me feel better. I think I have night eating syndrome.
All of this (bolded part) is a story you're telling yourself.

Tell yourself a different story. Play a different tape.

There are many people in your housing development you could befriend. Invite a couple ladies over for coffee and lunch. I would go to that pool even if it's just to sit in the shade and read a magazine. Lots of people will help or give you rides if you ask. I find people want to help. I know you would help them if you could. What goes around comes around.

I've been single the majority of my adult life and I don't have any family. I've had to find ways to get my needs met...and I have. There are churches, volunteer organizations, medical vans for rides to appointments, plenty of help to get me out and around others. For instance, I live near a Senior Center that has lots of stuff to do from classes to volunteering to a coffee shop to just shoot the breeze with nice people without spending money.

I'm not helpless.

Sitting in the house with my thoughts can become destructive if I let it. I have to get out, even if it's just to sit in my own yard with a book and some green tea.