Notices

Antidepressants

Old 07-02-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rar

Antidepressants

For those of you who are on antidepressants, how did you get through the initial side effects and not give up on them? Many years ago my doctor tried me on various antidepressants, but I always gave up on them after a couple of days because of the side affects, the most prominent side effect was anxiety. Anxiety is one of my major problems and I certainly don't want it to get worse. My doctor advised to hang in there 3-4 weeks and then we would try something else. I just couldn't bear to experience side effects for weeks on end without any relief.

I find myself needing an antidepressant. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and was considering agreeing to one, but I fear the side effects. Any advice on how to cope?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've tried different ones and couldn't tolerate most of them.

I know there are different types other than SSRIs, so maybe if you tell the doctor what your past experience is, s/he will know of a particular one that doesn't cause that.

I had to take a lot of pills due to lifelong severe debilitating migraines and we had to keep tweaking the pills for all the years I took them due to side-effects. Some people don't process certain types of drugs well. I ended up getting a DNA drug pathway test done and sure enough, SSRIs were on the "no" list - but I could take Amitriptyline, which is in a class called tricyclics. It didn't give me noticeable side effects. I'm on the anxious side, too.

In the end, once my migraines stopped at menopause I started looking for holistic ways to deal with my depressive thinking. For me, exercise, good nutrition, healthy boundaries, and a daily mindful practice of watching my thoughts has worked to keep depression at bay. It is a discipline of letting go and not grabbing onto worry or fear. I've been med-free for a decade now.

I hope you find what works!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Rar

My experience is similar to Bimini's.

The only thing I can suggest is make sure you are seeing a really good psych who is well trained in pharmaceuticals. You would think they all would be but that wasn't my experience. I would be really cautious of following the advice of a GP. Some psych's actually have assistants whose sole job is to prescribe the proper drugs after the psych eval.

Beyond that it unfortunately seems to be trial and error. One would think we would have the technology to move beyond that but I'm not sure we do. I know there are a lot of natural ways to boost serotonin that I won't get into here but you might want to look at that too.

I hope your foot is doing ok!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

40+ years ago I was on Amitriptyline following surgery after a tubal pregnancy. I couldn't exercise because of the surgery. I know exercise helps, but presently I can't exercise following foot surgery. I have these good intentions and think I could at least be doing strength training, but I just can't motivate myself or have the interest to do much of anything.

About 20 years ago I was on an antidepressant (SSNRI). It seemed to work. However, after a period of time when I wanted to discontinue it, the withdrawal was horrible. My doctor had to give me a written plan for withdrawal. I think it took 3-4 months to withdraw.

I just don't know what to do. Thanks for the reply BB. I like your plan and it's probably the one I will try to follow.

As an afterthought - I don't know if I need to increase serotonin, dopamine or both. .

I think it's ironic that I have such a sensitivity to medicine and yet am an alcoholic.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

I am not recommending this, only personal experience: I too "dabbled" in anti-depressants over the years. Primarily for anxiety also. Have been diagnosed Cyclothemic/Bi-Polar before also. I only once took an anti-depressant for a period of time without side effects that were intolerable and that made a difference. I really never took any long term. What I found that works better a good amount of exercise, healthy eating and I supplement with a multi-vitamin, fish oil and 5-HTP. I have not taken an anti-depressant or other medication in many years. I also forced myself into some social/community activities and things have improved immeasurably. Oh, and I don't drink alcohol, which makes things immeasurably worse. Best to you.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Regardless of which neurotransmitters (if any) are out of balance, the solution is going to be at least partially in your nutrition and some exercise. Even if you do decide at some point to take pharmaceuticals, why not support your body and mind the best natural way you can?

Can you go to a pool? Even sitting/upper body stuff will help. It's not just for weight loss or something to do - exercise actually physically changes things in the nervous system.

I did lot of nutrition research. There is lots of info online about it. Food is super important. I also take a mulitvitamin/multi-mimineral supplement and Vitamin D - for me VitD was a game-changer! It changed me dramatically. I used to spend all winter in a listless funk. No more.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are tons on the market and it can take some time to find the right one which is frustrating. SSRI's also do take up to a month to start working.
Also I agree that working with a therapist would be a great help if you're aren't already.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Regardless of which neurotransmitters (if any) are out of balance, the solution is going to be at least partially in your nutrition and some exercise. Even if you do decide at some point to take pharmaceuticals, why not support your body and mind the best natural way you can?

Can you go to a pool? Even sitting/upper body stuff will help. It's not just for weight loss or something to do - exercise actually physically changes things in the nervous system.

I did lot of nutrition research. There is lots of info online about it. Food is super important. I also take a mulitvitamin/multi-mimineral supplement and Vitamin D - for me VitD was a game-changer! It changed me dramatically. I used to spend all winter in a listless funk. No more.
Yes, I can go to a pool. Our new house is right across the street from the clubhouse and POOL! . It's so close I can throw a stone over there. My foot incision is still not completely healed, but maybe next week the scab will be gone. I have water weights and there are at least 3 water exercise classes offered. There are also other classes such as, "Sit and Be Fit", etc that I could do, but I just can't get off my butt to do them. Come to think of it, I haven't taken my Vitamin D in a while. I do not think I will be adding an antidepressant. Sometimes I think that the people think their antidepressants eventually work is that they are so miserable during the side effects that when the side effects stop, they think the antidepressant is working. Sort of like banging your head against the wall because it feels so good when you stop.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I suffered from anxiety for many years. My Doctor had me taking Xanax and Restoril, both benzos. I stopped taking both about 5 months ago. My last drink was 73 days ago. My anxiety is almost completely gone. For me the alcohol was causing most of my problems. It wasn't easy, but it's been well worth it.

Be careful with the AD's. You definitely want to make sure your Doctor knows about Psych meds.

Eat well and drink lots of water along with meditation and exercise. Keep posting and stay the course.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Are your meds prescribe by an MD or a Psychchiatrist Rar? I have tried a few meds over the years myself, but I personally found them to be only part of the solution. Kind of like pain meds mask physical pain, but they don't cure the actual problem causing the pain. In my case it was anxiety, not depression, but in a similar way some of the meds I tried actually made things worse, not better.

I found that working with a good counselor that I trusted allowed me to develop a solution that used some meds to get "over the hump" so to speak, but then I have a whole new lifestyle to help live with my anxiety and keep it at bay. That includes cutting back on caffeine and sugar, eating well, getting regular exercise, mindfulness and meditation exercises, occasional counseling visits ( I only go about once a month now ) and lots of reading/self help.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Are your meds prescribe by an MD or a Psychchiatrist Rar? I have tried a few meds over the years myself, but I personally found them to be only part of the solution. Kind of like pain meds mask physical pain, but they don't cure the actual problem causing the pain. In my case it was anxiety, not depression, but in a similar way some of the meds I tried actually made things worse, not better.

I found that working with a good counselor that I trusted allowed me to develop a solution that used some meds to get "over the hump" so to speak, but then I have a whole new lifestyle to help live with my anxiety and keep it at bay. That includes cutting back on caffeine and sugar, eating well, getting regular exercise, mindfulness and meditation exercises, occasional counseling visits ( I only go about once a month now ) and lots of reading/self help.
I am on a low dose (.5 mg) of aprazolam taken at night for anxiety and a low dose of pramipexole (a dopamine agonist) at night for restless legs. My other meds are 2 inhalers for breathing. The aprazolam was prescribed by a GP and the others by my pulmonologist. I think a counselor would benefit me, but I don't want to add another errand (driving trip) for my husband. If I were in NY, I get along on my own. Husband wants to sell NY house and I am ridden with depression and anxiety feeling doomed to be isolated with being afraid to drive here in Fl traffic. I have health problems accompanied by health anxieties. I like my NY doctors and am loathe to find new ones here.

Fortunately I am not overweight (yet), but my diet is horrible and my muscle tone is deteriorating from lack of exercising. Sometimes the anxiety is so bad at night, I eat. Last night I couldn't sleep and ate almost a whole package of cookies while reading. I am pre-diabetic, so those cookies didn't do me any good, but somehow it makes me feel better. I think I have night eating syndrome.

The meds I was on years ago were prescribed by a GP. My NY GP recommends an anti-depressant, as does my new GP here in Fl.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I am on a low dose (.5 mg) of aprazolam taken at night for anxiety and a low dose of pramipexole (a dopamine agonist) at night for restless legs. My other meds are 2 inhalers for breathing. The aprazolam was prescribed by a GP and the others by my pulmonologist. I think a counselor would benefit me, but I don't want to add another errand (driving trip) for my husband. If I were in NY, I get along on my own. Husband wants to sell NY house and I am ridden with depression and anxiety feeling doomed to be isolated with being afraid to drive here in Fl traffic. I have health problems accompanied by health anxieties. I like my NY doctors and am loathe to find new ones here.

Fortunately I am not overweight (yet), but my diet is horrible and my muscle tone is deteriorating from lack of exercising. Sometimes the anxiety is so bad at night, I eat. Last night I couldn't sleep and ate almost a whole package of cookies while reading. I am pre-diabetic, so those cookies didn't do me any good, but somehow it makes me feel better. I think I have night eating syndrome.
All of this (bolded part) is a story you're telling yourself.

Tell yourself a different story. Play a different tape.

There are many people in your housing development you could befriend. Invite a couple ladies over for coffee and lunch. I would go to that pool even if it's just to sit in the shade and read a magazine. Lots of people will help or give you rides if you ask. I find people want to help. I know you would help them if you could. What goes around comes around.

I've been single the majority of my adult life and I don't have any family. I've had to find ways to get my needs met...and I have. There are churches, volunteer organizations, medical vans for rides to appointments, plenty of help to get me out and around others. For instance, I live near a Senior Center that has lots of stuff to do from classes to volunteering to a coffee shop to just shoot the breeze with nice people without spending money.

I'm not helpless.

Sitting in the house with my thoughts can become destructive if I let it. I have to get out, even if it's just to sit in my own yard with a book and some green tea.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

You are so right - there are probably many folks who would help me. It's not as if my husband wouldn't help me - of course he would. I just hate asking him. He helps everyone here with all of his volunteering, etc. To others he is "Mr. Personality". Everyone loves him. With me, he seems resentful and every trip to pick up meds, go to dr, etc., elicits a heavy sigh from him. On the other hand, because others hold him in such high regard, he would positively freak out if I were to ask someone else. It would mar his image. The only solution I can see is to suck it up and learn to drive here. Presently I'm not allowed to drive with my foot, but shortly I will have to begin again. I'm thinking if I can get rid of some of this anxiety, I could do it.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You could also take an Uber to any appointments you need,if you don't want to bother him with it. I think my Uber 'milage' was around 9k miles after I wrecked my truck and lost my license for a while.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You get all the side effects of antidepressants straight away but not the therapeutic effect for 4-6 weeks.

-Benzos are alcohol in a pill

*5-htp interacts with a lot of medications
Old 07-02-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well when i first got medication they gave me Zoloft which gave me extreme agitation. They told me to stop taking it immediately. They then put me on EFEXOR-XR which gave me so sides at all really and by day 3 i felt awesome, though i hear some people had an opposite reaction to what i had.

I am also on olanzapine which i get sides from, when i first started to take it i felt really dizzy and tired. It also made me gain a lot of weight but the positives outweigh the negatives. Don't get dizzy from it anymore and no longer gaining weight though i'm also not losing any weight its just stable.

I too was hesitant at first but at the time i felt so crap i just didn't care i wanted to become a zombie i felt that bad.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Rar - no advice here on your post, but it's good to see you.

How are you these days? Sobriety strong?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I distinctly remember it taking me 8 days to adjust to my medication. I felt really weird for those 8 days. Kind of out of it. I adjusted and its been great.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on sertraline (zoloft) a long time and it works well for me. I don't even remember what the side effects were at first. I just know after being on it about 3 weeks, my mood drastically changed for the better and the side effects went away. I started on 50 mg, then up to 100 mg, now at 200 mg.

There are so many antiD's to try. I hope you find one that works for you.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Hey Rar - no advice here on your post, but it's good to see you.

How are you these days? Sobriety strong?
Hi Less.....Thanks for asking. Sobriety still strong, though some days are more challenging than others.