Thread: Antidepressants
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
biminiblue

I've tried different ones and couldn't tolerate most of them.

I know there are different types other than SSRIs, so maybe if you tell the doctor what your past experience is, s/he will know of a particular one that doesn't cause that.

I had to take a lot of pills due to lifelong severe debilitating migraines and we had to keep tweaking the pills for all the years I took them due to side-effects. Some people don't process certain types of drugs well. I ended up getting a DNA drug pathway test done and sure enough, SSRIs were on the "no" list - but I could take Amitriptyline, which is in a class called tricyclics. It didn't give me noticeable side effects. I'm on the anxious side, too.

In the end, once my migraines stopped at menopause I started looking for holistic ways to deal with my depressive thinking. For me, exercise, good nutrition, healthy boundaries, and a daily mindful practice of watching my thoughts has worked to keep depression at bay. It is a discipline of letting go and not grabbing onto worry or fear. I've been med-free for a decade now.

I hope you find what works!