View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 10:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Berrybean

It was quite interesting (if at times disappointing) to realise who my real friends were, and who were just drinking buddies. I'd say 90%of the people I drank and partied with I didn't really have much to do with once sober. Others, although they drank with me, were not problem drinkers themselves. They were, I think, quietly relieved that I was sorting myself out, and were happy to go along with different, sober plans for meetups and days out. Others, people who I'd thought of as best pals, turned out to just be drinking friends, and weren't interested in sober dates, or would agree to it and then try to sabotage my sobriety. I thought this was happening at the time and wondered if I was being paranoid, but one told me about the sabotage attemots when I hit 6 months sober and she realised I was serious about this quit.

I was another one who didn't know who I was, socially, sober. I started at 13 and carried on to my 40s.

Turned out though that like most people in recovery, the relationships that I was going to have in sobriety would be so much better quality that I wasn't going to miss those old drinking buddies for long. I've mended my relationships with my mum and brother as well. And I've made lits of new friends in AA and at new activities that I wouldn't have got involved in if I was still drinking. I also reconnected with some old school friends who'd been very close until I started drinking and I became a pain in the proverbials.

BB