Old 06-21-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DontRemember

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Actually, I think that's what life is.

For decades I had this notion in my head that if I was uncomfortable that meant I had a problem that needed to be fixed. (My super easy fix came in a bottle, but you probably knew that...)

I think about it differently now. Change is uncomfortable. Sometimes it's REALLY uncomfortable. If you want to change, you're going to have some discomfort. If you're having some discomfort - you might just be changing.

Discomfort is part of my journey. I won't hide from it any longer.
I agree with this..Before booze became my primary 'focus', whenever I was 'unhappy/bored' I thought a new 'toy' would do the trick. If I just get that nice SUV, I'll be happy. Buys SUV..'happy' for a while..Then If I just get that boat, I'll be happy..buys boat..happy for a while..I need to get a new sports car THEN I'll be happy,buys corvette..happy for a while..same with gf's,houses,business ventures,ect..Truth is I wasn't happy with my self. I did some serious self reflection when I got sober. A bandaid over a gaping wound doesn't work for long. You have to find out what it is you're really searching for. Lately I'm most at peace and happy with myself when I help others. I still have 'toys',but they don't really bring me happiness. They're nice,but it's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Therapy helped me a lot with this and I only went a handful of times because she said I seem to "know what I need to do, you just need to do it." I'll also say that looking for comfort in people,places and things is in a way expecting them to 'fix' you..that's not fair and likely not going to work for long. It's on you to 'fix' yourself. Whether that be F2F support,spiritualy,ect.. It's nobody's responsibility,but yours.

Edit: what Frick said,basically(I didn't read the thread before posting )