View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
MyLittleHorsie

I don't look at it as surrendering as much as I closed a door. Once I figured out why I drank, let go of resentments and started working on me more from a psychological and spiritual angle, it became easy. Once I realized I cannot moderate, can't stop once I start, once it started affecting relationships and my own self worth, it actually became easier. The day I quit drinking, I hadn't drank much that weekend. Two glasses the day before that were left in Saturday night's bottle. The weekend before that, family vacay and I had a few, but not drunk. I knew it bothered my husband so I said, I am going to quit drinking and I did.
My surrender was acceptance and the process I took to close the door permanently. Quite simply, I had enough. Over 40, nice family, career, community involvement, it was time the inside matched the outside. Removing alcohol allowed me to work towards that. Part of it is bargaining, I started a month, worked up to a year, now my goal is a decade sober. It is working and it is making me focus on sobriety. Which lets me keep that door closed.