View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It is known that some substances act on the same part of the brain that alcohol did and can trigger the phenomenon of craving. If that should happen, it is no longer a matter of choice. Apparently quite a few long time sober alcoholics are turning up in rehab again having had this experience. They took the prescribed medication, it triggered the craving and they drank.

I don't know if dope falls into that category, but smoking weed, just a puff, led to my last extended relapse after 3-4 months dry. As I remember it changed the way I felt in that I immediately felt a drink would be ok, and a few seconds later it was all over. Drinking was not the plan. Some addicts I knew thought they would help me stay sober and have a good time by giving me the dope. They did not want me to drink anymore than I did. They knew what I was like.

I appreciate your post Leana. I have heard many others share the same kinds of experience. Whenever my doctor or dentist proposes any medication, we always have a good talk about it first.