Notices

Ambien led to my relapse

Old 06-17-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ambien led to my relapse

I was 7 months sober and relapsed in March. I'm currently in rehab and 16 days sober. I blame my relapse on a really bad day at work and also on Ambien. I took an Ambien and about a half hour later I decided to order a bottle of wine to be delivered (since I couldn't drive on the Ambien). I don't think I would have done it without the influence of Ambien. Just sharing this story for anyone who takes Ambien because it really does impair judgment. There are other drugs that help you sleep that don't have this effect and are not addictive.

Some of you may remember me posting about Ambien back in late 2017. I am now completely off of it, thankfully. I have no illusions that it is harmless or I can't sleep without it.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you had that experience with Ambien, Leanabeana.

I have used Ambien occasionally as directed for over 20 years with no adverse effects whatsoever.

Just a reminder that making broad-brush generalizations about any drug is unproductive and incites a witch-hunt mentality that serves no one well.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry you drank LeanaBeana. Most of us drink because we are alcoholics and use alcohol to avoid/hide from our problems. It’s always easy to point the finger at something specific but at the end of the day we need to take alcohol off the table completely.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for pointing that out Andante. I'm sorry to offend anyone who takes Ambien as prescribed without adverse effects. My intent was to help anyone who may be like me and experience impaired judgment on it.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott. I definitely I drank because I'm an alcoholic, no illusions there. I've also come to terms with my addiction to pills which I think will make a big difference in my recovery this time around. I take meds for bipolar disorder and ADHD so I'm not anti-medication. I just know for me I can't take benzos, opiates, or hypnotics like Ambien and I think some others might be in the same boat.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to take Ambien and mix it with booze and it would make me trip balls. Like i was doing crazy amounts of acid. I got hooked on the stuff. It is possible.

I won't go so far as to say it can cause anything, but it's certainly a cause for concern or could be a gateway for me. Then again, almost any drug can be.

If it was for you, it was for you. However, that being said, now you know that prescription drugs can cause it.
It's not just ambien, I suspect if you're anything like me, it pretty much anything for sleep, pain or anxiety.

I got 3 pretty big kidney stones right around 2 years and was on pain meds for 2-3 days. They were absolutely necessary. Even the drs were urging it because my bp was getting really high when the pain would get really bad.
They were prescribed for 2 weeks, but i gave them to my wife and she gave them to me when i felt like my eyeballs were about to fall out from the pain or my bp was going through the roof from the pain. I just don't trust myself...not then, or now...or maybe ever again.

It sounds like you learned a valuable lesson...just don't make the same mistake twice. In early sobriety for some reason, we can come up with some really elaborate ways to self sabatoge ourselves.

Glad you're back.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Bulldog. I do wonder what I'll do if I have surgery or get something like kidney stones. I didn't have a serious problem with opiates but I did take more than prescribed back in the day. If the pain was so bad that my BP was dangerously high, I think I would be okay with taking painkillers since they aren't my drug of choice.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The Ambien didn't put the glass of wine to your mouth and ingest
Old 06-17-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Porcetta View Post
The Ambien didn't put the glass of wine to your mouth and ingest
yeah, but wouldn't you agree that saying that- is also similar to saying "that oxy or meth or coke didn't put the glass of wine to your mouth and ingest "

No...perhaps not, but perhaps the alcoholic might also be inclined to be an addict as well. An as such...maybe that should be avoided too.

IMO that statement is a broad generalization that might deserve a more in depth analysis. After all, this is our lives we're talking about.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Bulldog. For me, Ambien acted as a gateway drug and put me over the edge after a very hard day. For some, this drug is no problem. We all have different poisons to contend with.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Leana,

I'm glad you are finding rehab helpful. How much longer will you be there?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Two more weeks then aftercare. The program is a year-long process.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Apologies leanabeana ... my response sounded ok in my head but looks a little harsh written
Old 06-17-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No problem porcetta! I didn’t take it badly.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was cross addicted to alcohol and lunesta, the latter I took at the max prescribed level 3 mg a night for about 4 years. When I did my medical detox it was from both.

I agree that hypnotics, benzos and alcohol can all be sides of the same addiction. I won’t go near any of them, and my most painful withdrawal ever was from klonopin as directed.

Beware.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warning! I just saw this post this morning but strangely I had a dream last night that I found myself with a half drunk glass of wine in my hand (which I promptly then spilled on my mom’s couch) and I realized I had taken some strong sleeping pill (in the dream) and I had kind of lost my way as a result. Then I was trying to figure out in the dream if I had really drunk the wine or dreamed it on the pill effects. But then I actually woke up and was super relieved.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post
Thanks Bulldog. I do wonder what I'll do if I have surgery or get something like kidney stones. I didn't have a serious problem with opiates but I did take more than prescribed back in the day. If the pain was so bad that my BP was dangerously high, I think I would be okay with taking painkillers since they aren't my drug of choice.
the great fact is you dont have to be concerned about this at this time.
however, ive had 5 surgeries since getting sober- 2 of them rather major. i informed the doctors/surgeons that i was in recovery. thankfully, they were very understanding of that yet informed me these were surgeries were rather serious and no pain meds werent possible. they started with the lowest possible pain med and worked up to where the pain was managable- i still had discomfort but wants doped up.
thankfully i had a sponsor who had been through some serious surgeries himself.a couple of things he said that struck me:
- understandable about the pain meds but i didnt have to try and be a martyr by not taking pain meds.
-it was best if i let God and the doctors do what they do best and keep my nose out of it.
- i wasnt going to be tossed out of the hospital and not have followup supervision.
-he was also going to be checkin up on me.

all aftercare went well and i was off of the pain meds as soon as i could be.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

MindfulMan - My most painful withdrawal was definitely from Ativan. I thought I was going to die and my landlord of all people had to take me to the hospital.

Numblady - I have dreams like that all the time. Especially early in sobriety.

tomsteve - great advice about opiates. I didn't realize that doctors can refuse to not give you painkillers, but it makes sense after a major surgery.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Leanna, I feel the same way about pain meds that you do.

They were never my poison. In fact, on the few occasions when I was given narcotics for medical reasons, I couldn't WAIT to stop taking them.

I have a possible upcoming surgery and will need them for sure, but I'm not worried.

That's me, of course. I've known others who are the reverse. Opiates are the devil, but booze is not a problem.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Leana, I'm sorry you relapsed.

I believe marijuana contributed to my last relapse after rehab. I believe it gave my brain the feeling of escape and triggered cravings but ultimately it was my choice to drink.

Use caution with placing the blame for drinking on external situations, people or substances because taking full accountability with honesty of the problem is what supports sobriety.

That said, now you know one more thing about your needs in sobriety. Best wishes moving forward.