View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
August252015

I see a psych with addiction specialization for my meds, which are for anxiety, mild depression and now dormant BPD symptoms that so perfectly described me while actively drinking. That's checking off the box for that part of my recovery.

I completely echo what Gottalife said about the approach to AA that I believe is critical for the get sober then do what AA is really about- living a good life in recovery (which is very different than just being sober). So that's "that box."

My other boxes include taking care of my physical health- exercise, sleep etc. Another one is my relationship "box" - keeping emotional sobriety so I can live my best life with a strong support circle.

The word I probably skimmed over at first and that lots of people to is "willing" to - believe in something greater than me. As I heard someone say once in a discussion meeting about "the God thing," ie Step 3 - try sitting outside and willing the sun not to rise; if you can do that, well, who needs a HP? I bet you can't do it, though, like none of us can.

Regardless of whether you choose AA- after, I would submit- trying to really work a program as Gottalife outlined quite well- you need another supplemental or just a different method, I hope you find a path to that permanent, vibrant recovery I mentioned.

Best to you.