View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pathwaytofree

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
I grew up in a family where amends were continuously made but the behavior never changed.
To quote an old timer I knew, then that's not an amends. That's just an apology. Amend means to change.

Hey at least you got apologies.

Nobody was interested in apologizes/excuses until I changed my behavior.
I think we all can say that. And it takes a long time sometimes for the others to see that we have in fact changed.

This fellow said his current sponsor told him he slipped because he hadn't made all the necessary amends. (Technically he didn't actually slip because he hadn't drank alcohol but think it wise he restart his sobriety date)
I've heard that said before. Personally I'm not of that school of thought. We slip because of the thinking that precedes the first drink. We stay spiritually fit so our thinking stays in check.

I'm also of the school of thought that ingesting cough syrup like that is a slip. But that's just me. I respect all other opinions.

So he racked his brain thinking of things like he still owed money to somebody in Nevada where he worked p/t in his youth.

I was glad to see him speaking on a Sunday night but thought his stressing unfulfilled amends for his behavior was a cop out.
I agree.

My take was after moving he drifted away from meetings and/or working the program (prayers, reading, visiting sites such as this message board .)
Meditating and helping others. too.

And if this were to happen again he may find himself sucking on a bottle of Robitussin once more.
Let's hope not.