View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I read Father Richard Rohr describing the AA program as a practical model of restorative justice. An amends, AA style, goes much further than a simple sorry. It includes other elements, admission of wrong doing, contrition, an undertaking not to repeat the behaviour, an acceptance of responsibility both fot the behaviour and the remedial action, and restitution.

The result is often reconciliation or restoration of trust, and healing for all parties. That doesn't always mean old relationships revived, but it does involve an end to any acrimony or ill-feeling.

The book also talks about the consequences of continued bad behaviour. We will likely drink if we continue to harm others.

Harms are drunk or sober. A lot of my harms, unreliability for instance, were due to the aftermath of my drinking, too sick to meet responsbilities, not drunken behaviour itself. I was also very selfish when sober and that wasn't exactly a recipe for a happy life. Come to think of it I was often grandiose and arrogant when sober too. I got up a lot of peoples noses.

I think of this summary of the process, in so far as self amends or forgiveness goes. Sure I did harms to others, the backlash being that I harmed myself in the process. Now I make my inventries, I admit my wrongs, I ask God to change me, I go out and make my amends, I keep an eye on things with regular inventory, I ask God to guide me through the day, and I go and help another sufferer when I get the chance. By the time I am that far along with the program, there doesn't seem to be anything left to forgive myself for. Even my worst liabilities have bee turned into assetts that can be used to help others.

"We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it" doesn't sound like we are worried about forgiving ourselves.