View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
WhiteLight

Drinking is truly dead to me

Hi all,
Ive tried to quit alcohol many times over the past few years and usually havent gotten very far. The avergae is a few days and the longest was a couple of months. During those times i felt optimistic that i would remain sober but the desire to drink was still there.

This time feels different. I have absoloutely no desire to drink. The thought of alocohol sickens me to my stomach and makes me literally cringe. I really feel 100% well and truly done with the posionous stuff which new for me.

I used to smoke and one day i just woke up and felt similarly disgusted by the thought of smoking and never touched one since. I was just totally fed up with the whole thing. I've been waiting to feel this way about alcohol for a long time and now the time is here. My thoughts are not "I feel like a drink" and then a downward spiral. They are the complete opposite and I feel this huge sense of relief to be free of the grip of addiction.

I have no desire to hit ROCK bottom or get a rude wake up call......whilst I have certainly felt the consequences of drinking, it could have been alot worse. Im so grateful I have had my awakening before I completely destroyed my life.

It is early days yet but i have this sense of conviction in relation to staying sober. I KNOW I will stay sober. Im totally 100% committed to my sobriety but more then that I am completely committed to healing myself and nurturing my mind, body and soul.

to the SR community for being a part of my recovery.